Nanocoating Makes Your Electronics Completely Waterproof

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
The only "problem" with this coating is that it wears out in use, but it still is good addition to the device protection!
So there is still place "real" robust phones even after this invention. It would be nice to see if and how IP67 compatible device would benefit from nano coating? And does this allso mean that we will get a lot of devices that will offer IP67 compability for short time and lose it after the coating wears of? It could be guite big marketing hoax.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Unfortunately the coating can only be applied to materials that are already waterproof.

Surface repulstion may prevent water from reaching some gaps but you'll still need good old gaskets.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Might be cheaper to back the phone up that Liquasomething it. Next thing in technology news will be invisible rubber band that attaches phone to your face. Once you drop it it simply bounces all the way back. Just to gently remind you. p.s. impact depends on your device weight, has nothing to do with this amazing tech :)

G

From Liquipel’s terms of use:
Liquipel is a unique coating that is meant to protect your electronic device from damage resulting from accidental and incidental exposure to water. WE NEVER SUGGEST OR RECOMMEND THAT YOUR DEVICE MAY COME IN CONTACT WITH WATER OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF LIQUID.
So it's waterproof - but not for use in the water. Should be great for most of us.

However, if you are a swimmer or want a true waterproof iPod, there are other companies out there that waterproof electronics. They are not as sexy, no NANO in the name, one example, Underwater Audio (www.underwater.com), uses an innovative process that waterproofs Apple’s iPod shuffle to a depth of over 100ft – designed specifically for swimmers it CAN definitely handle more than “accidental and incidental” exposure to water!

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Might be cheaper to back the phone up that Liquasomething it. Next thing in technology news will be invisible rubber band that attaches phone to your face. Once you drop it it simply bounces all the way back. Just to gently remind you. p.s. impact depends on your device weight, has nothing to do with this amazing tech[/citation]
What are you smoking?

rjq

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Yes but when are they going to release the Foolproof coating... that would act before you drop your device on water.

thegreatms

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
[citation][nom]thorimmortal[/nom]Im sure they are using a cvd process, nothing new. more common for making the ic's in the device rather than waterproofing it.[/citation]
CVD cannot easily get into high aspect ratio surfaces. My guess was that it was ALD or a SAMs coating.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]lord captivus[/nom]What are you thinking about?[/citation]

Whatever is sensible to water, like old paper documents. Floods can be disasterous to register offices, and even though this technique is expensive to use, it could save tons of trouble when the destroyed documents are required.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]eiskrystal[/nom]So..... how does it protect the connection points? Yknow, the bits most likely to allow water in.[/citation]

If the device needs to be sent in to get this temporary liquid proofing then I assume they take it apart and coat the internals to some extent.

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
If it doesn't let me get to my battery, while protecting my battery and everything else, it's pretty useless to me.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Correct me if i'm wrong but don't they already have the ability to waterproof the actual board, that way getting water inside doesn't cause a short? Getting water in the lcd would still be a problem unless sealed from the rest of the phone though...

Status
Not open for further replies.