NASA Announces New Deep Space Exploration Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]So, what country gets what planet/moons/stars? Or is it just first come first serve?[/citation]

Good question, there hasn't been new land discovered in a long time so I guess you would use the rules that applied when we were discovering and inhabiting new lands. By that I mean, first one to kill off all the indigenous inhabitants gets the planet.

It worked for Spain......and everyone else.......

G

What is the point to all of this? If you're saving millions, then you are spending too much. As long as there are homeless people, wasting money like this is sinful. It would take us hundreds of years to attempt galactic space travel and by that time, we will probably have destroyed each other, if not the entire planet. It won't take too many more world wars to end our existance. Even if we made it to outer space, it would take decades to find another planet with life and even then, the lifeforms wouldn't be able to communicate with us. Space exploration is a novel idea, but one that ultimately goes where no man will ever go.

G

Yes, because space and the associated technologies involved haven't massively altered and improved the way we live here on Earth. Posterboi, you are an idiot. This is how progress is made, and the world will ALWAYS have problems. So should we have stayed in the dark ages . . .further back?

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Spaceflight[/nom]Yes, because space and the associated technologies involved haven't massively altered and improved the way we live here on Earth. Posterboi, you are an idiot. This is how progress is made, and the world will ALWAYS have problems. So should we have stayed in the dark ages . . .further back?[/citation]

What did space have to do with us ending up with the likes of Obama? Sorry, I was just being cynical.[citation][nom]Spaceflight[/nom]Yes, because space and the associated technologies involved haven't massively altered and improved the way we live here on Earth. Posterboi, you are an idiot. This is how progress is made, and the world will ALWAYS have problems. So should we have stayed in the dark ages . . .further back?[/citation]

I think they were simply saying they feel there are social issues on earth to be dealt with before we spend money elsewhere. And in some respects yes, I think we are in the dark ages - perhaps when we get a better President we'll see the light.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Safe, affordable and sustainable technology.. pity the same doesn't apply to banking systems, including the Federal Reserve System.

You know what, how about Obama being the first human to be sent into deep space - and how about cutting costs even by opting for a one-way journey? After all, change is good (and silence is golden).

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Wild9[/nom]What did space have to do with us ending up with the likes of Obama? Sorry, I was just being cynical.I think they were simply saying they feel there are social issues on earth to be dealt with before we spend money elsewhere. And in some respects yes, I think we are in the dark ages - perhaps when we get a better President we'll see the light.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Wild9[/nom]Safe, affordable and sustainable technology.. pity the same doesn't apply to banking systems, including the Federal Reserve System.You know what, how about Obama being the first human to be sent into deep space - and how about cutting costs even by opting for a one-way journey? After all, change is good (and silence is golden).[/citation]

Here you go:
http://www.politico.com

Now you can stop posting on Tom's!

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
^lol

Btw what the hell with all these 'new' launch vehicles. If we are so desperate to re-operate in the moon's orbit etc. then why the hell don't we dust off the trusty old saturn v in the first place? It can be revamped with a few modern upgrades but the thing has a perfect launch record (Apollo 3 was in the payload not the rocket) and essentially the same specs as this rocket is going to peak at? Are we just embarrassed that we are trying to do what we did in the late 60's? Embarrassed enough to risk another rocket failure like the Columbia when we know the Saturn V is the most reliable vehicle in our inventory? (or anyone's for that matter). One must remember that it comes from the pinnacle of the Rocket building era. Much of that knowledge has actually degraded considering there has been so little big rocket building since then and it has been spread out amongst the secrecy guarding corporate structure that is interested in little more than satellite launching (not to blame them- thats where the money is)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]seezur[/nom]Good question, there hasn't been new land discovered in a long time so I guess you would use the rules that applied when we were discovering and inhabiting new lands. By that I mean, first one to kill off all the indigenous inhabitants gets the planet.It worked for Spain......and everyone else.......[/citation]
You mean America and Australia

Of course anyone can claim anywhere for themselves, possession is 9/10ths of the law and if I was the first astronaut on Mars I would claim the planet for myself, unfurling my family crest on a flag before signing mineral rights to some corporations for a few trillion, that should pay for a private army to defend it against you Earthlings

G

Oh great, as if we didn't already have a bunch of antibiotic resistant pests, there will be new mutant strains... space herpes, solar syphilis, Uranus warts, etc

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Posterboi[/nom]What is the point to all of this? If you're saving millions, then you are spending too much. As long as there are homeless people, wasting money like this is sinful. It would take us hundreds of years to attempt galactic space travel and by that time, we will probably have destroyed each other, if not the entire planet. It won't take too many more world wars to end our existance. Even if we made it to outer space, it would take decades to find another planet with life and even then, the lifeforms wouldn't be able to communicate with us. Space exploration is a novel idea, but one that ultimately goes where no man will ever go.[/citation]

and spending our money on wars , weapon technologies , and efftorts to kill our self is less sinful ? you soun'd like your mind has been cluster f---ed, you talk about how this is wsatful cos we wil all kil each before it ever happens , yet if we stop spendign money here , it'll just go towards those efforts of kiling each other. you are such a moron.

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
[citation][nom]Posterboi[/nom]What is the point to all of this? If you're saving millions, then you are spending too much.[/citation]

I'm saving millions by not flying a rocket to class everyday. Doesn't mean I'm spending too much :p.

[citation][nom]Posterboi[/nom]Even if we made it to outer space, it would take decades to find another planet with life and even then, the lifeforms wouldn't be able to communicate with us. Space exploration is a novel idea, but one that ultimately goes where no man will ever go.[/citation]

I guess Christopher Columbus should've just stayed home then.

I say go NASA, and considering the number of new nations and private companies getting involved with space travel/exploration, it looks very promising for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.