NASA Confirms Discovery of Arsenic-based Life Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xatos

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I laugh at the people who put so much faith in science and man. Everyday we find out we're wrong. Too funny.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Wow. This is actually sort of a major discovery. I have my Biology I final in a week and stuff like this makes me doubt the accuracy of the information that I am learning. lol

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Xatos[/nom]I laugh at the people who put so much faith in science and man. Everyday we find out we're wrong. Too funny.[/citation]

So what should we put our faith in, then? God? The Flying Spaghetti Monster? Perhaps we should be content throwing up our arms and quitting, on the basis that there's just too much new stuff out there to learn?

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Xatos[/nom]I laugh at the people who put so much faith in science and man. Everyday we find out we're wrong. Too funny.[/citation]

Science isn't about right and wrong. It's about a continual process of revising knowledge through a combination of logical deduction and empirical confirmation.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Only way we can find out we are wrong is by doing further research. So I am glad there are men and women Scientist/researchers out there proving or disproving the mysteries of the known universe! Just remember that if we didn't have Science then many of the things you take for granted, like the ability to post on a website, would not exist ;-) Besides that, I am sure life can exist in extraordinary conditions and this finding proves it!

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

I laugh at people of faith. If it were up them we'd be slitting the throat of a goat every year to make it rain.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Good. Imagine if we had dropped science and man as sources of knowledge and sticked with the alternative. You would still be thinking the universe is 6 thousand years old, that millions of women are actually witches and should be burned, or that the computer you use is obviously witchcraft and was made by someone possessed by the devil, that everything we don't immediatly understand is caused by, well, God himself...

Or maybe you do still think that. I dunno, crazy people exist everywhere.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]Science isn't about right and wrong. It's about a continual process of revising knowledge through a combination of logical deduction and empirical confirmation.[/citation]

On top of that...it is not to be used to prove how we got here, but rather develop hypothesis's based upon the info given to us.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]Good. Imagine if we had dropped science and man as sources of knowledge and sticked with the alternative. You would still be thinking the universe is 6 thousand years old, that millions of women are actually witches and should be burned, or that the computer you use is obviously witchcraft and was made by someone possessed by the devil, that everything we don't immediatly understand is caused by, well, God himself...Or maybe you do still think that. I dunno, crazy people exist everywhere.[/citation]

I believe in God, and I am intrigued by this discovery. I use a computer and no, witches don't exist in reality....,maybe somewhere else.

If you believe in evolution....good for you. You have a free will.

G

It is NOT an Arsenic-BASED life form. Its a species of bacteria that has developed a way to substitute aresenic for phosphorus, when necessary. It has not been shown that it will use arsenic in preference to phosphorus, nor that it has evolved alongside but separately from phos. based life.
In fact, the NASA chemists are not even sure this is correct- they claim that arsenates are too unstable for this to be right. To use his word "this is an extra-ordinary claim that requires extra-ordinary evidence" He used that adjective a lot- and clearly was skeptical.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Although this is interesting it is over-stating it to say they are "arsenic-based" life forms. The arsenic replaced the phosphorus, so if they are arsenic-based then we would have to describe ourselves as phosphorus-based. Both forms, are in-fact, still carbon-based life forms.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

here is how i view the world.
people currently 60+ if they believe in god its ok, they lived in a time getting the @!#$% kliced out of you for not believe ing would be lucky, some places it would get you killed
between 30-60 i think they are stupid, and have lesser overall intilagance (sp, chrome has a bad spell checker)
people 10-30 you are mental invilids that pose no benefit to humanity, you are dragging us down with you presistance of living that willingly stupid life. you dont just hurt yourselves, you hurt everyone around you.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
discovering the bacteria doesn't increase the chances of extra-terrestrial life existing. it just makes you more hopeful. Though, I am curious as to arsenic being in the DNA. that's very interesting. next thought: how the heck did they find this in that one bacteria? i guess they decided to analyze the DNA of all bacteria in the lake.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]here is how i view the world. people currently 60+ if they believe in god its ok, they lived in a time getting the @!#$% kliced out of you for not believe ing would be lucky, some places it would get you killedbetween 30-60 i think they are stupid, and have lesser overall intilagance (sp, chrome has a bad spell checker)people 10-30 you are mental invilids that pose no benefit to humanity, you are dragging us down with you presistance of living that willingly stupid life. you dont just hurt yourselves, you hurt everyone around you.[/citation]

What the hell are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.