Nasa Says ISS Coming Down in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie_mcnoob

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
We can spend how many hundreds of billions of dollars on the Middle East, but we can't spend anything on the space program?
Nice to know where our priorities are.

If they found oil on Mars we would have a colony there in a heartbeat.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
This is, by far, the dumbest thing Ive heard this year.

$100 billion to get it up and working and were gonna just drop it in the ocean? WTF!?!? Get the EU and Japan to help foot the maintenance bill if need be, but you cant kill this thing so quick.

G

If this means that the US is giving up on weaponizing space, it might not be so bad... Paying the Russians to take us to space is a rather large slice of humble pie to swallow....

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Sell it to the Chinese or better yet Ebay it!

Seriously though... I am sure some investors will step up. Who knows maybe the ISS will sport a Walmart flag or a Castrol motor oil decal haha.

Very sad to let it go.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
"If they found oil on Mars we would have a colony there in a heartbeat"

We have oil right here on US soil and can't drill for it due to environmentalism. We have actually *had* the capability to sustain teh majority of our oil/energy needs for decades, but every time someone brought up that we need to drill our for own resources (like Russia does), it gets shot down due to politicians saying "well it will take over a decade to start seeing results, so what's the point?" Imagine if we had actually started the process back in 1994 when Clinton shot down a proposal where we would be today. Got news for ya on another front: the current crop of politicians wanting to kill coal isn't going to help our energy needs either. We can't drill, we can't build nuclear plants (like France), and yet people continue whine about us being dependent on foreign oil. Amazingly mindless.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
wtf? i though the iss was going to be built up until it becomes the death star? we spend billions on the war, trillions to rebuild the economy, and millions to bail out companies that just use the money to have gold toilets and we don't have enough to spend on space? i guess we are doomed to stay on earth forever until we get pwned in the face by one of the many things discovery channel keeps on talking about.

mantismn

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Aside from the monumental waste of money killing the ISS is, how bout the blatant environmental impact. For some reason I have a feeling not everything inside the ISS is "eco-friendly" and biodegradable.

Good idea NASA, lets spend billions of dollars just to dump it in the ocean. If that had been their original proposal, I think a lot of people would've told them to get bent.

G

I'd say keep the station at least for spare parts!
50 to 75% of that 100billion dollars probably was for getting all that material out of orbit!

Instead, build a second one, and use spare parts of the old station for the newer if possible, worst case scenario, cut it to pieces and use it as a shield for the newer space station!
The baby boomers have lost their mind, wasting all that money, and the X generation will inherit their curse; not a very thoughtful action!

G

On a second thought, even if we'd just abandon station,and let it rotate around the earth like the moon, it'd cost us next to nothing.
Bring in some plants and perhaps one could use it as a bio plant in space!
But even if we'd just abandon the station,and leave it for the next generation, that'd probably be the wisest thing to do.
Just make sure it'snot going to fall into orbit with earth,and everything will be ok.

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
atleast send it out on recon or something... its bound to find something or to be foudn by someone... don't just plunge it into the ocean

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
10tacle...

Sitting on your own oil is not a bad idea.

Right now humans are using more oil than we are producing, at our current pace we will see HUGE oil price increases in the next couple years due to this fact. The big oil companies have reduced exploration something like 60% because the massive oil finds have pretty much been located already, unless there in some horrifically difficult place like the middle of an ocean.

I live in Canada, Alberta to be specific and we are Oil driven here. We are the richest Canadian province and guess what? Exxon bought a majority share into our Oil. Fucken Canadian Government, I still can’t believe they sold!! So you also have our oil….Sorta.

Imagine for a moment ten years from now, the world’s oil is CRAZY expensive and USA decides to tap into your own resources for personal use only… What is the oil worth then?

I think USA is smart to not drill that oil, Just yet. Although, I bet it could bail you out of the economic crisis. MEGA high paying jobs to be had in the oil patch.

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
It is probably because the astronauts watched a ripped DVD in it, and the MPAA issued a takedown notice. (sorry, horrible pun).

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]On a second thought, even if we'd just abandon station,and let it rotate around the earth like the moon, it'd cost us next to nothing.citation]

You realize everything in orbit will eventually plummet to earth on its own? We can’t leave it unattended…

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom][citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]On a second thought, even if we'd just abandon station,and let it rotate around the earth like the moon, it'd cost us next to nothing.citation]You realize everything in orbit will eventually plummet to earth on its own? We can’t leave it unattended…[/citation]
But if we did, the ISS would truly deserve the name Death Star! ;)

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Lol what a bunch of idiots, why destroy something unique?

Like the 1st poster said, if they found oil on Mars they would establish trade routes Mars-Earth in 1 year carying crude oil.

Stupid NaSa .

Status
Not open for further replies.