NASA Scientists Make Mice Float Using Magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

why could this same technology not be used to create the effect of gravity in space? If it could levitate the mouse it could also be used to present a downward force on an animal or maybe even a human.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Very, very cool! Well, Fuzzy, that may very well be one of the eventual applications of such technology. Plus... think of the cool, new rides at Six Flags based on this technology! :)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
"The scientists decided to give the second test mouse a "mild sedative," which made the subject more content with floating."

Wonder what the "mild sedative" was to make that mouse "content" floating, I bet the mouse was singing "excuse me while I kiss the sky!" while that sedative was going.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]FuZzyLoGic360[/nom]why could this same technology not be used to create the effect of gravity in space? If it could levitate the mouse it could also be used to present a downward force on an animal or maybe even a human.[/citation]

It uses superconducting coil and consumes electricity enough to power dozens of houses. There is not enough money to do that, and there is strict weight constraint on systems we can put into the orbit. Centrifugal force is more practical.

sinusoid

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I will volunteer to test this technology out on humans. Though I can already imagine the pain from falling when I get outside the area of effect. Ouch.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
But what about the biological effects due to the magnetic fields floating water wouldn't that damage internal functions. We just like the mouse are 99% water with the rest made up of carbon, so things like irregular circulation and muscle fatigue would be the effects just as it would in space but on a smaller scale because the magnetic waves are going against gravity here. Just think about it, the mouse is just floating up there for like 30 seconds then puff it internally combustion and mouse gut just floating there.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
The physiological effects of micro-gravity? How would you be able to tell since you have to take into account the effects of an electromagnetic field strong enough to make an animal float? People living under power lines get brain tumors so I think the scientific data here is probably gonna be tainted.

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
To Float a human in the same manner would require a TON of Juice and most likely a large enough magnetic field to yank the iron right out of our red blood cells hince the 10 gram weight limit.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Neato but I bet the effect could be increased but having the mice drink water laced with metals (iron,nickel, cobalt) or even genetically engineer mice that are easier to levitate.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]This really isn't anything new. The University of Nottingham in the UK was making frogs float using magnets over ten years ago: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ [...] 66532.html[/citation]This is the first mammal to under go this experiment (successfully). Its big because its only 2 animals away from being used on humans (pigs and monkeys).

Status
Not open for further replies.