NASA Sends Butterflies, Caterpillars Into Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]Great...now due to space radiation we are going to get back Mothra or something of the sort. Somebody wake up Godzilla.[/citation]

or the stay puft marshmallow man.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
They don't do well in zero G. Many plants can't survive in space either though putting plants in a centrifuge helps. Can you imagine if you're a plant and you don't know which way your roots are supposed to grow due to the absence of gravity, that would suxor!

renz496

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
did they send of the butterfly off to outer space in hope the butterfly will exposed with some radiation and then mutating into something else?

G

[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I get what they are doing but, WHY!?Is there a real purpose for this?Nice to know how the government is wasting our money...[/citation]

hey any federal employee will tell you that there are a lot better ways to waste money. just this past week our shop bought a part for a 30 year old radio for 3500 bucks when a brand new radio costs 1800 bucks. welcome to the world of WTF!!!!

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Well, I think these studies should be done... a little later... when space travel is more a common thing. You know, maybe when the actual space elevator is done...?

Seriously, for now it such trivial data that the NASA is wasting money on this.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I get what they are doing but, WHY!?Is there a real purpose for this?Nice to know how the government is waisting our money...[/citation]

I think you mean "wasting." This is exactly why the government is spending this money: to encourage education. Maybe if cool learning experiences like this interest kids more in school and learning, we'll have fewer hopelessly ignorant people in the world.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
This is just stupid. It's a feel-good propaganda thing for schools. Big giant waste of money.

They should just give it up. We're never gonna live in space.
Star Trek is a TV show. There are no Vulcans.

ChuvelxD

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Computer_Lots[/nom]This is just stupid. It's a feel-good propaganda thing for schools. Big giant waste of money.They should just give it up. We're never gonna live in space.Star Trek is a TV show. There are no Vulcans.[/citation]

You sir, are a giant arse. They probably didn't send butterflies on their own shuttle, it was probably a side project on a already schedueled mission. That's how they do these things.

Star Trek is NOT a TV show, its real. And the Vulcans, are going to mind-meld you and make you think you're a giant arse. Which you are.

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR!

Status
Not open for further replies.