NASA to Send ''Robonauts'' to Moon by 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why robots, is it not safe for humans to travel through the radiation belt yet? Americas already done it once, havn't they?

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
[citation][nom]Lies[/nom]Why robots, is it not safe for humans to travel through the radiation belt yet? Americas already done it once, havn't they?[/citation]
They do not have the Apollo rockets anymore. Shuttles are retired, and they cant go their anymore anyways.

kckrich

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
zomgosh at the people above me.

Anyways, finally a good use of tax payers money! Before launch maybe they'll have created a robot to help clean up the oil spill! Oh wait-that would be useful-never mind then.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
While I applaud doing more stuff there and working with students to increase interest, isn't there better things to do up there, and better vehicles to do it with that humanoids (especially with seconds of latency)?

I mean, landing on the moon is still rocket science and prices are still astronomical. We don't have rovers or satellites there yet and there are many important things to know (especially if we ever want to do anything productive there).

G

the recent manned moon missions were canceled because it was going to cost billions to do what we've already done. that money has now been reallocated and increased to r&d for things like life support systems for long term space travel, automated docking, and support robots like the ones mentioned in this article. we can go to the moon, but I agree that its a waste of money if we could use it for more r&d rather than reinventing the wheel. we are soo far from manned mars missions

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]joeystig[/nom]let the did-we-land-on-the-moon debate begins[/citation]

Mythbusters...

spolier: We landed on the moon.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
This tells me how much citizens really know about what is going on. Working out in space is much more researched and refined than under water. (ask any marine biologist ever since NASA started) NASAs finical allowance is only a fraction of what is was in the '60 and '70s, and they are just thinking of how to get funding back, by getting kids involved. We have NO launcher currently to get to the moon; we are just using what the old USSR created in their hay day to launch the space station. I have a feeling that this is a side project to test their new rocket that should get the green light to build within a year while getting more funding from private party, science clubs, and private industries. I think its long overdue and sad that we let our space exploration sit idle for 30 years.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ThE_BrutE[/nom]This tells me how much citizens really know about what is going on. Working out in space is much more researched and refined than under water. (ask any marine biologist ever since NASA started) NASAs finical allowance is only a fraction of what is was in the '60 and '70s, and they are just thinking of how to get funding back, by getting kids involved. We have NO launcher currently to get to the moon; we are just using what the old USSR created in their hay day to launch the space station. I have a feeling that this is a side project to test their new rocket that should get the green light to build within a year while getting more funding from private party, science clubs, and private industries. I think its long overdue and sad that we let our space exploration sit idle for 30 years.[/citation]

you know what i find sad it isn't so much the lack of funding nasa has received but the general mentality of the population in our coutry these days, fore example: some of the comments made on this board , as if it is nasa's responsiblity to clean up an oil spill that some A-hole oil company made, Nasa's function isn't to clean up oil messes , their function is to explore space.

bassically i agree with you ThE_BrutE i think it is sad that we lost interest in space exploration , and many american's consider it wasted dollars ... the fact is the planet earth is NOT a ball of renewable resources that never ends, and one day the first steps into "getting out there" will matter greatly not only to science but to our survival as well

unwanted

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
"outsourced to Armadillo Aerospace. Armadillo was founded by John D. Carmack, known for his programming work on popular shooters like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake."

Hmmm I wonder if this means "Doom" is going to come true just that it is going to happen on our moon instead of those around mars..... and maybe we'll be fighting crazy robots instead of demons!

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
c'mon, let's just get out there. Stop bitching and moaning at progress.. u keep bitching.. interest keeps falling... Yes, ppl like us have an impact in the scheme of things.. sad I know.. but true

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Lies[/nom]Why robots, is it not safe for humans to travel through the radiation belt yet? Americas already done it once, havn't they?[/citation]

Because robots don't need food, oxygen, water, and are essentially expandable. That makes for a MUCH cheaper moon mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.