NCSoft Ditches the ESA

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
ESA decided their fate when they returned E3 to the producers, taking it away from the consumers. It's too little, too late to try to return E3 to it's glory days. What were tickets, like $600 bucks? No one these days is going to travel to San Diego and spend hundreds of dollars they don't have to get a sneak peek at games they won't be able to afford. Sorry ESA, but your best bet is to cancel E3 this upcoming year. With the financial crisis, video games will be the first thing to get phased out by consumers trying to feed their families after losing their jobs. Save your money and hope to recoup after the markets stabilize.

Sure, there'll be those die-hards who have a little extra cash cause they still live in their mother's basement, but even they might consider saving money to actually buy the games, rather than just pay to see them early.

G

Yes, the ESA shot itself in the E3 foot years ago and it's dubious wether it can recover from the recent mass exodus of publishers.

HOWEVER...video games remain one of the cheapest forms of entertainment (per hour) available. In the economic crisis, big ticket items and travel will be the first indulgences to be cut from consumer's budgets. Video games, as a cheaper form of entertainment, shouldn't experience such a drop in sales. If anything video game software sales would INCREASE as people increasingly look for entertainment options at home.

G

If anything video game software sales will increase during the crisis as people look for cheaper home based entertainment alternatives.

IMO they should merge E3, ComicCon, BlizzCon and possibly even Sony's Fanfaire(to provide the comic relief). I'd actually buy a plane ticket for that.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I suppose I misdirected my statement at games, when it should have been at accessories and systems. People will find it harder to afford the next generation of consoles, add-on accessories (like $180 Rock Band World Tour kits), etc... The sorts of things E3 markets. However, I also think the numbers of new games sold will drop. People who already live on tightened budgets will find it even hard to spend $50 on a new PC or console game. The $19 budget bin and used-game market, however, will probably see quite an increase in sales.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
However, when you have the choice to entertain yourself or eat/have shelter, many people will choose to survive over enjoy themselves.

My view of E3 is as one big long commercial - vendors pay to get high profile coverage and wet consumer appetites. Once you make it an "industry insider" only gig, then it ceases to hold any meaning. Price out the media from attending (and by media I also include the bloggers and other smaller sources) and the ROI for the vendors crashes.

Oh well, just like pen-and-paper roleplaying games and pet rocks, it sounds like the age of E3 has come to an end (or been reduced to a niche at best).

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
meh they'll all be back when the economy improves. E3 is nothing but a big advertising event. u cant sell games if u dont advertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.