Question ndis.sys High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaiNguyen

Estimable
Aug 14, 2014
Since a few days ago, my audio has been crackling and having de-sync issues with any video I watch. After some research, I found out it is a problem with high latency and through LatencyMon, I found that the largest culprit was my ndis.sys driver. My stats from LatencyMon can be found at the bottom.

I had tried all the possible solutions such as:
- Reinstalling LAN drivers
- Updating GPU drivers
- Updating BIOS
- Reverting to older LAN drivers
- Changing Windows energy plans
- Changing LAN driver settings (EEE, Offloads, etc.)

None of these fixes worked for me. However, I did find that uninstalling/disabling my Intel LAN drivers did cause my latency problems to disappear. But the second I reinstalled any version of the LAN drivers, my latency would spike from ndis.sys. The only thing I remember changing from the day it started was an update to the SteelSeries Engine 3. Disabling, uninstalling, and reinstalling that didn't do much. I had also apparently received a Windows 10 update on that day (Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition 1.297.558.0)). This update is my most likely culprit for the problems I am having. However, this update does not appear in the "Uninstall updates" option in the Windows Settings.

I also found that the last known modification of the actual ndis.sys file was on the 21st of May. I did receive a Windows Update on that day but that certain update does not have the option to uninstall.

I am using an ASUS H110M-A/M.2 with the latest Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V drivers on Windows 10. This problem has been plaguing me for the past few days. I am unable to do any thing audio and video related without constant crackling and desync issues. Any help is appreciated.

_
CONCLUSION
_
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:10:52 (h🇲🇲ss) on all processors.

_
SYSTEM INFORMATION
_
Computer name: DESKTOP-52KRBT3
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1809, build: 17763 (x64)
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., H110M-A/M.2
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16327 MB total

_
CPU SPEED
_
Reported CPU speed: 3192 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

_
MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
_
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 5617.70
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4.742398

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4519.70
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.186341

_
REPORTED ISRs
_
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 160.678571
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.039728
Driver with highest ISR total time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.045897

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 193358
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

_
REPORTED DPCs
_
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 5666.322682
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.097087
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.348280

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 2116732
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 177
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 165
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 60
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

_
REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
_
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: explorer.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 7570
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 3850
Number of processes hit: 55

_
PER CPU DATA
_
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 27.050834
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 160.678571
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 1.184153
CPU 0 ISR count: 191327
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 5666.322682
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 8.632091
CPU 0 DPC count: 2063166
_
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 13.134757
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 58.102444
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.012556
CPU 1 ISR count: 1999
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 3337.769424
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.289283
CPU 1 DPC count: 28461
_
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 12.067647
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 20.811090
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000294
CPU 2 ISR count: 32
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 145.140664
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.078574
CPU 2 DPC count: 12957
_
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 11.749859
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 740.016291
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.08320
CPU 3 DPC count: 12552
_

Check the problem with Ubuntu Live, if it appears there too, it might be hardware related

Update to Windows Build 1903

replace cables (LAN and Audio)

How do you watch the videos? Is it youtube or files from your PC?

Check the HDD/SSD with its manufacturer´s tool, eventually update its firmware if available

update the Realtek® ALC887 driver directly from realtek, try the ASUS audio driver as well from the ASUS support homepage

reset the BIOS by jumper

check the ATX IO shield on the back of your PC. Is it installed correctly?
any ports damaged? like LAN or audio

check with a different audio port, back and front

disable jack sensing in the audio driver

Dec 6, 2019
Hello , i've fixed my problem after 1 month of trying to reinstall drivers and stuff....i was about to surrender and reinstall windows rolling back to win 8 but in the end i tried to disable my antivirus protection and quit the process and magic happened ndis.sys had a maximum latency of 0.40 ms from 140 ms. So guys before doing anything try to disable the AV or the programs that filters internet packets try one by one and test it again with LatencyMon. I was using Kaspersky antivirus if you are wondering but it doesn't matter cause i saw many cases with different antiviruses so try it. Hope this will help somebody! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.