Nec ht1100 projector problem

tsachimi

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Hello,
i have nec ht1100 projector that had problems:
after aprox 30 min and then the pic lost the blue color and started to jump and freeze.
i took it time after time to the our nec lab in my town and this is the way they handle it:
1. cleanup dust - did not help
2. replace the dlp - did not help

then they found that the main chip in the mother board became hot after aprox 30 min and then the picture lost the blue color and started to jump and freeze. after few min when it (the chip) chill, it was ok and onec again when it became warm all happened again...

the person from the lab said that the chip need to be weld again but there is a risk that the DLP (?) mother board will be ruin...

what can i say, the board not working now (he is sorry) and i need your advice and help.

one more question... is his assumptions and the way he handled are right? where can i find replacement mother board (cheep) and will it fix the problem as written above.

Best Regards,
Tsachi

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Heat related issue is not hard to troubleshoot. There are compressed gases where you can spray cold air and that would have been an easy find. However, welding it back to the board is not he’s fault. But he didn’t suggest or think of alternative solution.

I did experimental custom fix on two occasions where I put the surface mount chip on a heat sink with fan, then move the chip somewhere possible inside or outside the box using extension wires soldered to the pins. I use heat shrink tubes to isolate expose wire/pins so cosmetically does not look pretty but this decrease the amount of heat being produce the chip and cooling it all together by the heat sink and fan. And it works. Heat sink and fan cost me around $10 plus about 2 to 3 hours cost of the labour. This fix is not possible if the chip pins are very close together that there’s not enough space to solder the wire/wires.

I don’t know if getting it fix worth the hassle where you’re not even sure how long it’s going to last than getting a new projector, that is if you can find the board? Sorry, I'm not much of a help to you.

G

Thanks a lot rexter for your time.
The projector now is at nec's lab, they said they'll do their best in order to help me but if like you said at the end, they don’t know if getting it fix worth the hassle where you’re not even sure how long it’s going to last than getting a new projector - my answer was that this projector considered the best one for home cinema (5-6 years ago) and something in this scale will cost me a lot so please try :)

thanks again,

Tsachi