Need a ~$500 Laptop for Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shlutka

Estimable
Aug 1, 2014
The laptop will be used almost exclusively for solidworks, programming (eclipse), and browsing the internet.

Needs: SSD, 1080p Display.

Looking for the best bang/buck option in terms of speed.

Thanks!

Update: Found this, wondering what you guys think

Assuming this is my best option, should I go with the i5-7200u or i5-8250u; the 7200u has less cores, but a higher clock speed, so I would assume it would perform better in a program like Solidworks which does not utilize a high # of cores.

Solution
Go for higher clock speed when it comes to Solidworks. Source: I support several high end Solidworks users and our company has a tech support contract so I have been able to speak with those in the know on this subject. They needed a fast computer to run simulations and so a computer with a Xeon E5-2667 v3 3.20GHz was purchased. Total cost for that PC was about $5K.

Sam Poland

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Go for higher clock speed when it comes to Solidworks. Source: I support several high end Solidworks users and our company has a tech support contract so I have been able to speak with those in the know on this subject. They needed a fast computer to run simulations and so a computer with a Xeon E5-2667 v3 3.20GHz was purchased. Total cost for that PC was about $5K.

Solution
May 17, 2018
Is there a vendor at your place, wich sells refurbished business notebooks like Thinkpads or Dells? With 500$, you will get more for buck with a used high end business notebook than buying a new cheap one.

Shlutka

Estimable
Aug 1, 2014

I live in Posen, Michigan.

No

Status
Not open for further replies.