Need a Gaming Netbook/Laptop under $1700

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Greetings All..

1. What is your budget? 1700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" could be a 17"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable I already have a Desktop but can't bring with me for traveling.

5. How much battery life do you need? 4+ hours as it will be plugged in

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Warlords Of Draenor & Legion - Both WoW Expansions, Would like Ultra settings in a 20 man raid environment . Battlefield 4 on Ultra could be High settings and other games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Nope just Gaming / Basic tasks ie Social Media, Microsoft Word, watching movies

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 1TB+ I already have external HDD's I can run but looking something right around 2TB for everything.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. NewEgg / Amazon, any other place that will take a check as payment.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 6 years hopefully

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I could use an external Bluray Drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Acer , Asus, Levono, MSI, Sager, I'm all open to brands as long as it will do what I want.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I would prefer a 970M for gaming purposes

Don't need anything else, I'll be purchasing a TSA bag for the Laptop later on could use recommendations on that, won't be in that $1700 for the Laptop, the Bag if I can get recommendations that budget would be up to $200.

Solution
And I agree that you should go for the 970 (but it isn't my money). You said you want to keep the laptop for a number of years, so might as well get the best while you can, instead of getting something inferior, and regretting the choice a year or two down the road. As fast as new processors and GPUs become available, there is no such thing as "future proofing" a laptop. It will eventually become obsolete for your gaming needs. But by getting the best you can right now might put off that inevitability by an additional year or two.

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
That MSI looks sweet only turn off for me is its an open box, yes I know what that means but rather preferred not an open boxed bad experiences with open boxed items is all, not an issue yet with Newegg. On Sager I subscribe to a magazine called MaximumPC and they talk alot about Sager how great it is etc. I even been in contact with them and they allow on that #6 to be upgraded ie more hdd's / Ram.

Yeah, I'm kinda iffy on the open box thing, too. Just wanted to point out that a GTX 980M is doable on your budget, just not "new".

As for number five on your list, the name "Fangbook" sounds plain silly to me. But that's just me, LOL.

As for #1, as fond as I am of the ASUS G751, I don't like the fact you have a relitively major disassembly project to get to the fans to clean them. Not necessarily a deal breaker, just something I take into consideration.

Maybe the Sager IS your best bet. I dunno.

I really like the look of the red GS70, but I wonder how well it cools, being so thin. Will have to take a look at customer reviews. Doesn't have a backlit keyboard, I don't believe. I personally would like one if I'm dropping that much coin. But maybe you don't need one.

I was gonna suggest the MSI GT72, as you have a couple other heavyweights on your new list. Maybe not your style, though.

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Was this the GT72 you was going to suggest? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152661 Because I found a http://www.frys.com/product/8517209?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG unless its the 2nd one. Also since you posted about Style, honestly as long as it works & does what I want it to do, I don't mind the style. And related to the Keyboard I would prefer a backlit keyboard I use a Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth Chroma already for PC. The other title I'll be playing is Diablo Reaper Of Souls hopefully on Ultra, guessing that doesn't alter my search.

I wasn't suggesting any particular model of the GT72, as I was being too lazy to look them up.
I would have mentioned it MUCH earlier, but you put down in the questionnaire that you were looking for a portable laptop, not a desktop replacement laptop. "Portable" meaning lightweight, and "desktop replacement" meaning weight doesn't matter to you. But now you have added other 8.5 pound laptops to your new list, so I mentioned the GT72.

My personal choice if weight is no object is the GT72, based on what is important to me (sturdy build quality, good speakers, good backlit keyboard, ease of access to the innards, and a 2 fan cooling system).

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I'll be headed out today to look at the Asus. I know someone who just bought a Sager 17" and he loves it and that thing fly's & screams, he ran BF4 on Ultra and the thing looked great, it didn't run Hot either.

I saw that you weren't too thrilled with the look of the MSI as opposed to the ASUS. I have stated in other threads that I prefer the LOOK of the ASUS myself (but prefer the MSI for other reasons). I'm thinking that maybe the Sager is the best bet for you, if you've seen one in person and were impressed by it.

gamer2k1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
So I went out and looked at the Asus it looks really good only problem is, its sold out at the store I went to and they are not getting any new units in till mid Sept at the earliest because of that I'll cross Asus off my list I'd wait but I need the Laptop now. So now that leaves me with 2 Laptops to choose from either Digital Storm or Sager. With Sager I'm looking at now is the NP8672 which is the 980m model.

1. - https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1142841 which is the Forbus but its a 970m.

2. - http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=466 which is the 980m.

TRENDING THREADS