Need a Laptop Suggestion Please..

kickitykick

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
Hi there, so I need some help finding my next laptop..

I want to be able to several VMs w/ ease, also I would like plan on using the new laptop to do photo/film editing. So I understand it needs to be powerful. Also, because I'm willing to spend a good bit of cash, I would like for this to be as future proof as possible. Those around me suggest the MBP w/ Retina 13" Display w/ 16 GB RAM, but one hangup for me is..
1- umm the pricetag (Seems steep to me..)
2 - It seems like everything regarding Apple is more expensive than other brands (this could be a stupid opinion, but it just seems like to me).
Seems like the MBP 15" would be a better fit for what I want.. but that's why I'm here because I'm really not sure haha
Also, aren't there windows laptops out there that can work just as well as a MBP but not with the steep pricetag? And yes, I'm biased because I've only used Windows machines my whole life, but I AM OPEN to changing if it provides me the most quality. Many say Apple products are overrated, but I haven't experienced one to know if this is true.

My desires..
■ Budget: <$2100
■ Preferred Screen Size: <15.6"
■ Desired RAM: >= 8 GB
■ Long battery life
■ At least 128 GB
■ I prefer SSD over HDD
■ Good portability
■ Durability
■ This may be standard now but a backlit keyboard

----I live in the States
FYI, I work with a company that has discounts available for HP, Dell, and Apple.

Solution
Well MacBook is a MacBook. It really is something different if you compare it to the rest laptops out there. However different in a good way, MacBooks in my opinion are really good for work and professional editing. Some might say that the price compared to the specs is overpriced, but their strong part is on the unique software and how it matches with their hardware parts. That's why they are high priced but I think it's worth having one so go for it and if u really want it just buy it. They also are very realiable and efficient.

Todor Stoev

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
So for your needs and your budged I highly suggest you get a ASUS ROG G750 series laptop as at the moment there are some good discounts on it so it fits your budged:
http://www.amazon.com/G750JZ-17-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-VERSION/dp/B00IAACWH6
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231090
If you miss this discount it's around 2.500$, so here are some other suggestions:
- Lenovo Y50-70 would be a great fit for your needs too.
- Dell Alienware 17
I will stop here because 3 are enough and they are the top 3 for this price range (according to me ofc) Good luck!

kickitykick

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015

Thanks Todor for your our reply and suggestions, but it seems that the Lenovo Y50-70 is the only one that's 15.6" or less. I will put that on my list to consider.. what is your honest opinion of the MBP 15"?

Todor Stoev

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
Well MacBook is a MacBook. It really is something different if you compare it to the rest laptops out there. However different in a good way, MacBooks in my opinion are really good for work and professional editing. Some might say that the price compared to the specs is overpriced, but their strong part is on the unique software and how it matches with their hardware parts. That's why they are high priced but I think it's worth having one so go for it and if u really want it just buy it. They also are very realiable and efficient.

Solution

kickitykick

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015

Okay. I really do appreciate your advice. My final decision will come among the Lenovo y50-70, ThinkPad T450s, and the MacBook Pro 15. What I like about the first two is that I can customize to my need (add memory, etc), but with the Mac you can't. Also, the plus of the first two is the built in LAN as I will do some pentesting as well. All seem of high quality build. Thanks for the help.