Need a laptop with these specs

toastjams

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
I'm a student with a small budget going into college. Looking for a reliable laptop that will get me through college, if not further.

Must have:
3+ USB ports
CD drive
i5 core +
under $800
8 GB RAM +
dual core, at least

I'm an artist, so I run a lot of programs at once (drawing programs, movie maker, word, screen recorder, browser). I don't care about the laptop being sleek or light or really really new.

NO CHROMEBOOKS
NO MACS

Thanks!

note: if these specs are unreasonable for the budget, well, oops.

Solution
If a DVD drive is a requirement, then I am afraid that will significantly limit the number of laptops that would meet your requirements. The trend to leave out the DVD drive in favor of offering slimmer and lighter laptops have been going on for over 3 years.

Also, since you are an artist are you going to use something like a Wacom tablet to draw with or are you looking for a laptop with a digitizer pen? If that is the case, then that further limits your choices because the several (not many) laptops I can think of with a digitizer pen do not have a DVD drive are also likely above your budget.

toastjams

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017

I've got a Wacom, no need for a pen!

How about this Dell Inspiron i5567-3655GRY for $700?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i5567-3655GRY-Laptop-Generation/dp/B01L8PEO5M

There is also the Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57D4 for $580. It also has a dedicated nVidia 940mx graphics chip, though I don't know if it improves the performance of your drawing program. The caveat is the Acer brand is generally geared more towards value so from an overall quality point of view it is not as good as Dell.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LD4MGY4?psc=1

Solution

toastjams

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017

Yes, I'm using a wacom. No need for pens/digitizers.

toastjams

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017

Thank you! This is really helpful. :)

The posters is looking for a laptop with a DVD drive. While the laptop is advertised to have a DVD drive, it actually does not have one. Someone asked in the Questions & Answers section is if the laptop has a DVD drive. Acer answered no.