Need a netbook

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
There are so many netbooks out there now that I have no idea where to start. I have a decent laptop for everyday use, and plan to build a PC later this year for heavy Photoshop and Illustrator use, and some gaming. Right now I need something very portable that I can open up real quick, pound out a few words when I get inspired, and then stuff back in my bag.

1. What is your budget?
I'd really like to keep it under $250, trying to find used if possible.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
under 10 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Need it to be extremely portable. Will be bringing this to work, have to be able to use it while sitting in a car.

5. How much battery life do you need?
as long as possible, probably no less than 5 or 6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
no games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Need to be able to run three specific programs at once-- Final Draft 8, yWriter 5 (plotting/outline software, very small and can run off a thumb drive) and Word. Also may need a browser open for research, but only when using at home as I won't have internet at work.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Really not that much. 120 or 250 GB would last forever for what I need.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
usually shop Newegg, Amazon, Tiger Direct. I'm searching craigslist for used, and also willing to do any brick store like Walmart, Target, or Best Buy. Also okay with refurb for the right price.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
not needed

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
no preference

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Ishkrish

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hey there,

I've had quite a number of years in the support industry for various types of notebooks and netbooks. I can say with confidence that typically these cost effective models usually end up failing on the motherboard.

From my past experiences, I would highly recommend an ASUS series netbook as they are a solid manufacturer for Mobo's and hardware specifically. I can vouch for quality hardware which would ensure longevity of use in the product.

I personally wouldn't want to go with anything smaller then a 10 inch as sometimes the default window sizes of certain programs exceed your screen size, sometimes making things quite cumbersome to use. I was using XP with my system, and so the driver support was lacking a little bit with regards to screen dimensions.

Check these models out, they are right in your price range and would serve you well for what you seem to be looking for.

Check out some of these samples, mostly pricing varies on the processor your going for with these. But all are pretty reasonable price vs. performance for what you need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=asus+eee+pc&x=0&y=0

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The availability on that refurbished PEM model seems to come and go, and the price on the Amazon one went up, so I've been doing more research.

The Asus 1015PX with the atom 570 isn't much more, but does that little bit of extra processing power make enough if d difference?

I've also been looking at the 12" versions, and B&H has the 1215B with the AMD C50 on sale for a good price. How does that processor compare to the Atoms in the others?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Screen+Size_12.1%22&ci=16049&N=4289362933+4294948940

Ishkrish

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Well actually the graphic capabilities on that one there are likely a lot better. It's the ATI based chipset on this one you found vs. the intel one.

The one you spotted here will perform better in my opinion as I found the video on my Asus netbook kind of lacking with the intel based graphic chipsets. Then again, I didn't have high expectations for anything major on my netbook. But this would likely run higher res movies a little more smoothly then mine does, or streaming video. This one looks like a good find you got there

I can't be certain since I'm not familiar with 2 of the 3 programs you mention.
But Im thinking you're going to be desperately unhappy with the performance when you're running all 3 at once, or 4 when you're also browsing.

We will be very interested to know how you evaluate the performance once you get what ever you end up with.

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Not sure if it means much or if I'm looking at good numbers, but I have all of them open right now on my laptop and looking in Resource Monitor, Final Draft is using less memory than Word.

Final Draft: 38,000kb
Word: 52,000kb
yWriter: 60,000kb

and for comparison Firefox is taking about 700,000kb