Need advice about how to buy.

kend0g187

Prominent
May 24, 2017
I'm now in my 4th attempt to buy a fitness tracker. Here were the problems with the first 3:

1. FitBit Charge HR - fails when my wrist gets sweaty.
2. Xiaomi Mi Band 2 - heart rate monitor doesn't track in real time, it has no idea whether or not I'm working out, thinks I'm running when I'm on the train, thinks I'm walking when I'm swimming
3. Moto 360 Sport - incredibly limited functionality (can't adjust what constitutes active exercise), can't log my swims

Here's what I need:
1. Continuous HR monitor so that it knows when I'm working out.
2. I need to at least log my swims (add calories and exercise minutes to my running total), actually wearing the watch in the pool and tracking my swims would be better.
3. Under $250, around $50 would be better.
4. Could be a smartwatch or just a tracker, I don't care.
5. Must integrate with some major app so that I can use my stats to compete against others.
6. Must track my sleep.
7. Watch or app needs to display daily totals in real time for calories and minutes of (really) active exercise.

I've been shopping on Amazon and Lazada, and the descriptions just don't answer my questions. Here are some of the problems I'm having:
1. I can't find the full user's manual.
2. I can't find the name of the native app that syncs with the watch.
3. I have no idea about the compatibility of other apps. I'm especially confused about this part. If the native app won't let me log my swims, is there a 3rd party app that will? How can I find out?

Please help. I've been dealing with this for a good 40 hours spanning the last two months, and I'm more confused than when I started. I will gladly accept any advice. Answer just one of my questions or give my a suggestion for a model that will suit my needs. Thanks!

kend0g187

Prominent
May 24, 2017
Well, I thought I may have found the answer, but I didn't. I found an app that seems to be both good an popular - MyFitnessPal. Apparently you can log swims with it. They have an article (https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1082598-what-kind-of-products-and-apps-work-with-myfitnesspal-) that lists compatible apps. I tried looking for good (at least 4 stars on Amazon) trackers, but couldn't find any whose apps were in the MyFitnessPal compatibility list. So then I tried going down the list of compatible apps (they won't list compatible trackers) and trying to search for each one on Amazon, but every single one that showed up had a low rating and user reviews that suggested major issues with the device. To be fair, I did actually find one device that would maybe work - Garmin Vivoactive HR, but it's so ugly and a little out of my price range. Any other ideas?