Need advice for gaming notebook

cloudstrifeseven

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I am currently looking for a cheap gaming laptop. It would be mainly used to play LOL and Starcraft II. I don't necessary need something super compact, as long as it's easier to transport than a full desktop tower + screen, because I often go to LAN parties. From what I have seen, new gaming laptop aren't cheap. I recently found a used one on Ebay, so I am wondering if it's worth it or if you have any other suggestions. Here is the link so you can check out the specs : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-XPS-M1730-17-Gaming-Notebook-128GB-SSD-/171000325787?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item27d069e69b. It seems all I would need to do is to replace the video card. There is a 8800 GTX SLI on Ebay for less than $200, so I am thinking that for less than $500 I could get a decent gaming notebook, do you think it's a good idea ? I have never installed a video card in a notebook before but I know how to install one in a desktop so I'm guessing it should not be that difficult. Any advices ? Thank you !

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Yeah installing a gpu into a laptop compared to desktop is not even comparable, tons more things you need to do, I'd recommend getting a laptop that already has a gpu in it for your needs. whats your budget?

cloudstrifeseven

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Is the GT 640M that much faster than the 8800GTX SLI ? The CPU seems to be better though. The screen is a bit smaller, and it has a 5400rpm hard drive while the m1730 has a hard drive and an SSD. I'm not too worried about the portability either because I will put all my stuff in my backpack, but yea I guess that's a slight advantage. The biggest advantage would be that it's brand new so it would be less of a gamble... Anyway thanks a lot for the advice, I'll think about it.