Need Advice On PC Build

Whitecakeman

Estimable
May 22, 2015
Need advice on my first build (budget build); compatibility etc.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100

Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151

RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

GPU: GTX 670

PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W

Case: Unsure about it; need recommendations.

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
Oct 31, 2015
The PSU is a little less than what you need. Nvidia recommends 500 watts. A Seasonic S12II 520 bronze is a good budget unit. For a budget case, I like either the Corsair 200R or the Antec 300.

Whitecakeman

Estimable
May 22, 2015

Sadly, the S12II isn't available in the UK the others are a bit too expensive: have another suggestion?

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
For a budget build, the case is something you can skimp on. You can even build your own case from trash... an empty biscuit tin or a broken microwave oven. But for a first time build, buying a new case is a handy convenience. You can find deals where a case comes with a power supply and doesn't cost much more than the power supply alone. But the only way to find a case alone for a few dollars is if you get it second hand. So I would suggest looking for a case and power supply combo deal. Antec should have one. You can get a case with 480W PSU for as low as around $40 on NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148067

As I am in the U.S. I am not sure that one will be available to you, but there are other combo deals available. Shopping around is half the fun! :D

I plugged all the parts you listed into PC Parts Picker and there were no incompatibilities found. The total came to over $700 so far with the most expensive item being the video card. I don't know what your budget is, but you could get a 2T drive for $10 more than the 1T drive. OTOH, maybe you would like more speed rather than more storage. You can get a 480GB Kingston SSD for about $80 ($35 more).

One consideration for the future, you might want to find a motherboard with SLI support. That way you can add another video card to increase your video performance in the future. Or get a cheaper MB now and plan to replace it with a better mainboard later.
Unless you get lucky with a promotional deal, it looks like the lower prices are close to $50, while the boards that support SLI are only about $50 more. I don't know how restrictive your budget is. It might be worth it to get the cheaper board so you can put that money to a better hard drive. With any luck, boards with SLI support will fall in price in the future anyway.

The CPU should come with a stock cooler, but you should consider the options. Air cooled systems tend to collect dust in my experience. If you have the ingenuity to build a custom case, you may decide to take a crack at a home built liquid cooled system. This way you could seal the case, preventing dust from entering. This is probably too much work for a first build, but even with a budget build, you could have a dust free case with a little ingenuity.

Other considerations:
Optical Drive - optional if you can install everything via USB or over ethernet
Operating System - Many Linux distros to choose from or add to the cost with a license.
Software - Is there anything in particular you need to be able to run?
Monitor - Touch screen? HDMI TV?
External Storage - for backups. Could be NAS
Peripherals - keyboard, mouse, headphones/speakers, microphone, camera, touch pad, printer/scanner, etc.

Case fans, fan controlers, pumps
Thermal compound
UPS system

Jugeum

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Another option is that you can build a caseless computer, but there is upkeep as dust is a bit of an issue and you want to make sure someone doesn't put junk of your running components (like mail or books or something)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
L Antivirus / Security / Privacy 7
A Antivirus / Security / Privacy 7
C Antivirus / Security / Privacy 2
H Antivirus / Security / Privacy 8
W Antivirus / Security / Privacy 5
B Antivirus / Security / Privacy 7
J Antivirus / Security / Privacy 3
V Antivirus / Security / Privacy 5
A Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
I Antivirus / Security / Privacy 6