Need another replacement due to theft. again.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
1. What is your budget? - flexable, but dont think I can break 1200.00 US without really good reason

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-17. Had all types, loved the real estate on the 17 but kind of a pain to get out and work with in confined spaces..

3. What screen resolution do you want? x1050 as a minimum. my D830 that was stolen a few months ago had a 15.4 inch 19xx by 1200, and I loved it. the most recent 17 inch Dell had a x 900, and it really was just a little bit short of expectations on resolution.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? pretty much desktop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need? some? a couple of hours is good enough but i am trying to ground my expectations.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? mainstream games in mainstream details. I tend to play more with MMORPG ( still have an original Ultima Online account.. and no havent played for a while but I just cant stand the idea of killing it. ) thinking of Cry2 just for the MechWarrior mods. loved mechwarrior.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) photo editing, possible light AutoCAD, some Pinnicle Studio, general web/email/remote pc support.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? a dual drive system would be great, but likely out of my budget. (SSD/HDD ) any SATA that comes with would likely be oK, as I have a 90GB OCZ SSD to install.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I usually buy Dell for one reason- they fix it at my place, under my terms. and i usually get the CompleteCare as i dont want to have to worry about it. For a great deal I might forgo this as the last two warranties never paid for themselves as the laptops were stolen.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? couple of years if all good and not stolen, I usually pass down to family or friends at reduced cost to help fund the new one..

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVDRW at minimum, Blu-Ray reader might be nice but I really dont think I need it.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Bad experiences with Sony and panasonic, Toshiba with respect to repairability and parts.. Good history with dell , as I always kept the warranty up with the completecare.

13. What country do you live in? Texas - Its like a whole other country ( USA for those who dont understand the reference)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. wanted to wait for the newest gen to get more available so the price to drop, but work needs make me think I am not going to be able to hold out. thought about getting a referb or a temp holdover to get through, but the idea of having to do this again soon does not appeal to me..

Solution
Its out of stock and ETA is March but anyway

Hey Check this out :
Sager NP8130
15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
Stock OEM Thermal Compound
nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
8,192MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)-
Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Software
500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth
Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
Integrated Fingerprint Reader
3 Year Labor* 1 Year...

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Its out of stock and ETA is March but anyway

Hey Check this out :
Sager NP8130
15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
Stock OEM Thermal Compound
nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
8,192MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)-
Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Software
500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth
Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
Integrated Fingerprint Reader
3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs
For $1172.73

Here is the link http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-clevo-p151hm1-p-2973.html

Should be perfect

Solution

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Its ok- I wasnt very clear..
the unit you referenced is built on the Clevo p151 chassis.
the unit reviewed by Toms Hardware article today is on the P150 chassis.
I dont quite know the difference and it is not obvious to me..

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Clevo is using different screens on the P151 and P150.Its matte screen vs glare screen.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Getting close to Decision Day:
additional question- besides the high clock i5 vs lower clock i7
I know gaming graphics adapters work " ok" for CAD apps, not as good as pro but reasonable,
but to professional graphics adapters game ok and are they supported by games?
(reason for question - Dell Precision 6500 x1200 display for around my price with 1gb video..)