Question Need assistance with a very strange failure with my Samsung Galaxy S22+

Tepid Mess

Prominent
Sep 22, 2022
Hello, earlier today I experienced a very distressing problem with my phone. It was so strange I'm not even sure I can even call it a failure, because I still don't know WHAT happened.

Here is what I observed, as best I can remember. This is a Samsung Galaxy S22+, btw.

I was in my car, phone in a hands free holder. I had a headset plugged in, and was watching a video. (I know, I know.)

I decided to unplug the headset and use the car's bluetooth. The pairing already existed, and I had used this phone in this vehicle with bluetooth many times before. I pulled out the headset, and turned on the bluetooth, since it had been off at the time. Meanwhile, I went to the car's bluetooth menu to make sure it would connect.

Around this time, the all-white Verizon logo screen appeared, with four pastel colored dots running along the bottom, typical of a restart. However, I did not initiate a restart, and even if I had, this Verizon screen appeared way too soon. Under any normal restart, I would not have seen this screen for at least another 15-30 seconds.

It gets worse. This Verizon screen with the "I'm doing something" moving dots continued in exactly this way for about 30 minutes. During this time, the phone was unresponsive. The screen wouldn't respond to any kind of input. I pressed all the buttons. Separately, together, short presses, long presses, you name it. No response. Nothing on the screen changed at all.

I gave up and kept driving. After approximately 30 minutes, the screen suddenly went dark. Now, again the buttons appear to do nothing.

Now I am finally back home, and the phone is charging, despite the fact that I don't think the entire episode was enough to drain the battery. Upon plugging in the charger, nothing showed up on the screen, which is another bad sign.

Question 1: Anyone know what might have happened, and/or what I can do about it?

Question 2: How can I clear and reboot the phone? I do NOT want to do a factory reset. I'd like to preserve what's on my phone if possible.

THANK YOU!!!

Tepid Mess

Prominent
Sep 22, 2022
ok, never mind. I just found a procedure online to do a "soft reset." It consists of holding the power and volume down buttons for quite awhile. And it seems to have worked. Fingers crossed! Thanks all!