Need Help Badly on How to Know the Maximum Frequency of Ram my Laptop's Motherboard can support

kimblancoz

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
Hello guys,

I have a toshiba s855d-s5120 laptop. It has 2x 4 gig ram's with 833 mhz each.

I am planning to upgrade them as I read here that APU laptops must have higher rams and frequencies to get better performance. Can you please help me as I am planning to buy new rams or the rams in my laptop right now is enough and its motherboard cannot support/use higher frequencies?

Please help me! Thanks!

Solution
only way to get a bios updatre is on the Toshiba support site if they released any it not like a self built tower where asus asrock or msi or gigabyte actually release bios updates often

wildcard1978

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
Operating System C1 2  Windows 8 Processor3 and Graphics4 Vision Technology from AMD featuring:  AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon™ HD 7660G o 2.3 GHz, (3.2Ghz with AMD Turbo Core Technology 3.0) 4MB L2 Cache  AMD A70M Chipset Memory5  Configured with 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (max 16GB)  2 main memory slots. Both memory slots occupied .

pulled that drirectly from the product specs pdf from the Toshiba support site

wildcard1978

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
if its saying in your os somewhere that its only running at 83 MHz its either underclocked in bios or more likey ram is in dual chanel mode if its in dual channel mode when ya your programs tro check your ram spead it with only show half of the full speed of the ram in MHz stead of the full speed.

example I got 4x4gb of mushkin enhanced stealth memoery so 4 sicks of 4 gb 2133 MHz ddr3 . if I install cpu z to check cpu clock and ram and stuff the nb frequency says 2195 MHz
dram frequency is 1164mhz.
so when your runign dual chanel mode on memory it will only show half the speadd it actutally runign so when its in dual chanel refer to the nb frequency.

hope that helps .
and only way to figure out if that board on the laptop can use any faster ram youd have to call Toshiba and find out the don't list it on their support site under the speacs for the laptop.

kimblancoz

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

Wow that's great information from you. Thanks a lot! Yes I think you're right as based on CPU-Z, it says dual channel, showing NB Frequency at 1315.1 MHz and DRAm Frequency at 809.3mhz

Can I ask more? So to conclude, I got 2x 4gb of ram with speed of 833mhz right? Can I get a performance boost if I will buy new 2x 4gb of ram with 1600mhz speed each? Please help me?

Thanks for the info. Is there any way to change the channel settings of ram in laptops? I see limited settings in my bios. I am figuring it out how to update my bios but got no luck.

It's perfect. You enlighten me up through your info. Thanks. I am hoping for your response.

wildcard1978

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
according to their support pdf yeah should support 1600 MHz MHz ddr 3.

on prebuild towers and laptops its really hard to find or get full specs for the mains boards on all the hardware they support cuase those pc manufactures make the boards them self or contract out to the big mainboard manufactures .

wildcard1978

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
as for performance boost your already runign 1600 MHz ram but you wouldn't see a performance boost usless your were actually using all your memory . then it would of been using your ssd or hdd as virtual memory .

wildcard1978

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
only way to get a bios updatre is on the Toshiba support site if they released any it not like a self built tower where asus asrock or msi or gigabyte actually release bios updates often

Solution