Need help changing setup from receiver to soundbar

DJ1971

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I currently have a Samsung TV and Blu-ray player, Tivo and a PS3 that all go through a receiver and I use a harmony remote. Have had this set up for years as my old house had surround sound built in. I moved and am no longer with the person who knew how to do all the audio stuff.

I just bought a Samsung soundbar (since I no longer have the SS) but have no idea how to switch components over so they will all work through the soundbar, and with the harmony remote (I know I will have to set that up again as well but that's a whole other issue). Anyone able to help here?

Solution

you will need to connect everything directly to the tv, and then have the digital optical cable go from the tv to the sound bar, this is if your tv support digital out.

Your sound bar may support audio return channel, if so the tv can send the audio signal from the tv to the sound bar via hdmi, you still have to have everything connected to the tv though
Well you downgraded from a van to a sedan, you can no longer take the same number of passengers you used to.

Very simple, you are correct to notice: Components(BR,Tivo,PS3)----> Receiver ----> TV.

So now your Receiver is replaced by a soundbar.

How do you plug those same components to the SB? You can't, it doesn't have all the inputs that you require and used to have.

I just saw a SB with 2 HDMI jacks, but usually they are 1 to 0. Can't you pare down your components? Downsize?

DJ1971

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Hi, thanks for the reply. There is no HDMI on the soundbar, just optical and aux. It does have Bluetooth though I'm just not sure if any of my components can hook up to it that way. Also, not sure what you mean by downsizing.... the tivo has my cable card in it so functions as my cable box, kinda need one or the other. Blu-ray is pretty necessary for watching movies. I guess I don't have to hook up the ps3 until I want to use it, then how do I play games?

jerryg8995

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Bradley_33

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

you will need to connect everything directly to the tv, and then have the digital optical cable go from the tv to the sound bar, this is if your tv support digital out.

Your sound bar may support audio return channel, if so the tv can send the audio signal from the tv to the sound bar via hdmi, you still have to have everything connected to the tv though

Solution