Need help choosing a brand for my needs (durability question)

Dresgeve8710

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
This won't be your typical "which laptop should I get" thread. I have an idea of what hardware I want and all that :) Instead, this is about whether it'll handle my mobile needs.

See, I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad about a year and a half ago. The idea was to use it for college and a little gaming. It worked great, but after not quite a year the right hinge broke inside the case, and the case started to break out along with the keyboard and the ports on that side. Lenovo fixed it, gave me a new keyboard and case, all that stuff, and it was good as new. I upgraded to the extended warranty, just in case, and bought a $100 SwissGear bag that was made for a computer larger than this, so it'd have room. Now, about 6 months later, same issue. I always adjust the screen from the middle rather than the side, I never lift it by the screen, try my best not to carry it open, all that stuff. Turns out, it's from having to pull the computer out of the bag by grabbing it on that side (it's a backpack, so it stores it sideways). Meaning it's going to do this again in a few months. I carry this thing literally 7 days a week because most of my homework assignments and such are online, so it's necessary.

Probably what will happen is that I'll get this one fixed, sell it for what I can, and buy something from a different brand. So what brand makes laptops made to, you know, carry with you? I'm looking for something I can game with as well, so if you can focus on brands known for that that would be great. ASUS, MSI, Alienware? What do you guys think?

Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company in the UK...

We see this sort of damage all the time, broken hinges, broken bezels, broken top and bottom plastics... ON ALL MAKES :(

Enough said ?

You just have to treat it like a woman.... very very very gently ...lol

All the best Brett :)

Dresgeve8710

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Dang, that really sucks! I don't know how else to baby this thing, unless I can shove my hands all the way down into the pack and, I don't know, I guess flat palm the edges. But I don't know if there's enough room in the pouch for that. Can't laptop makers make quality hinges? But I've discovered most laptops I've seen are not made to be portable :p Sort of removes the purpose.