Need help configuring audio settings

scguitarguy15

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Hello all! I am in the perplexing position of being somewhat of an audiophile, but when it comes to configuring my current home theater setup I am at a complete loss. No matter what settings I fiddle with, nothing seems to yield the result I'm looking for. My current setup is as follows- Sony Bravia XBR55X810C 4K TV, Vizio SB4451-C0 5.1 soundbar system, PS4 Pro, and Sony UBP-X800 UHD BluRay player. The PS4 Pro and Sony Blu-ray Player are connected to HDMI inputs 1&2 on the TV, respectively. The Vizio soundbar is connected to the TV via the HDMI Out (ARC) output on the soundbar to the HDMI 4 (ARC) input on the TV.

I have the Disney WOW Blu-ray HDTV & Home Theater Calibration disc that I use to test the Speaker ID to make sure that the right audio channels are coming through the correct speaker. In my TV's settings under Sound, there is an option to set the Digital audio out signal to either PCM, Auto 1 (Output compressed audio without change), or Auto 2 (Output only compressed audio for multi-channel content without change). By default, that setting was set to PCM. My settings on the PS4 Pro are Primary Output Port- HDMI and Audio Format- Linear PCM. When I would use the Disney WOW disc to test speaker output on the PS4, the only way I could get the speakers to produce the correct output was to change the Sound setting on my TV to Auto 1 and change the Audio Format on the PS4 Pro to Bitstream (Dolby). However, when I would play a Blu-ray movie it never quite sounded right, and I always had an issue with the right & left surround speakers producing both right & left sounds during speaker ID tests. When I changed the TV Sound setting back to PCM and changed the Pro's Audio Format back to Linear PCM movies sounded very dynamic and loud and the surround sound appeared to be accurate, despite the Disney WOW speaker ID test not being accurate.

Now that I have the Sony UHD Blu-ray player and it has a whole slew of options to mess with under Audio Settings, I am completely lost. I just want to be sure that I am getting the best and most accurate audio from all of the components in my setup and this is way past my realm of knowledge especially with so many different settings options on so many different devices. Any help or advice would be most appreciated!

I will be happy to supply more information about settings/devices/setup upon request if needs be. Thanks!

Solution
1. You don't have to worry about the channels being mixed up since you can't mess up the speaker connections and audio is only being sent digitally. You did set up the Vizio so the speaker levels and delays are set correctly? Usually you would set the sub level to taste.
2. Your settings of TV auto 1 and PS4 Dolby sound correct to me. Auto 2 might work as well on the TV. PCM is stereo only.
3. You want the BD player to output in Dolby Digital or DTS not lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD. I don't think your soundbar supports those audio codecs. You may need to select that in the disc menu rather than the player menu.
If your are "somewhat" of an audiophile don't expect miracles from the soundbar system. A decent modest audiophile...
1. You don't have to worry about the channels being mixed up since you can't mess up the speaker connections and audio is only being sent digitally. You did set up the Vizio so the speaker levels and delays are set correctly? Usually you would set the sub level to taste.
2. Your settings of TV auto 1 and PS4 Dolby sound correct to me. Auto 2 might work as well on the TV. PCM is stereo only.
3. You want the BD player to output in Dolby Digital or DTS not lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD. I don't think your soundbar supports those audio codecs. You may need to select that in the disc menu rather than the player menu.
If your are "somewhat" of an audiophile don't expect miracles from the soundbar system. A decent modest audiophile stereo will sound better.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS