Need help deciding

Feb 17, 2018
So here is my current situation. I bought a MacBook air for my wife in 2014 for her school. She has since started a new job after graduating and got a new lenovo (Which is very nice) for work. She gave me the MacBook and I use that for school sometimes. I also built a gaming PC which I do most of my schoolwork on. My goal is to transition all my schoolwork to the MacBook and use the MacBook for school, work, and do some writing/minor video editing with. My question is should I keep the MacBook air I have (13 inch, i5 1.6ghz, 128gb SSD) or sell it and get a MacBook pro 2012 15" i7 and drop in an SSD and 16 gb of RAM. I'm not really wanting to buy new. What would you do?

Solution
I have the exact MacBook Pro that you mentioned and by comparing both of them, the Pro will give your more power for sure. In your case, it depends how "minor" your video editing is. TBH if your task doesn't require a more powerful Mac, I would go for the MacBook Air because it is a whole lot lighter than the bulky MacBook Pro. Also, you get too save some money too.
Apr 12, 2018
I have the exact MacBook Pro that you mentioned and by comparing both of them, the Pro will give your more power for sure. In your case, it depends how "minor" your video editing is. TBH if your task doesn't require a more powerful Mac, I would go for the MacBook Air because it is a whole lot lighter than the bulky MacBook Pro. Also, you get too save some money too.

Solution