NPorzelt

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Hi guys,
I'm moving in to a new house in about a month and I'm planning out my home theater setup for the living room. The technical aspects are definitely not my expertise so I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

I plan on buying a 60" Samsung LED tv (Samsung FH6003 aka the non smart version so I can save about 400 bucks since I wouldn't really use the smart features.) as well as a surround sound speaker system. I was able to see the Samsung HT-5500W 5.1 surround sound system in the store on sale for 350 dollars and the reviews are all favorable for it.

Now here's where I get confused. The TV has 2 HDMI ports, the surround sound receiver has 1 HDMI input and 1 output. I will have a cablebox/DVR combo unit as well as a Playstation 4 by the time we move in.

I'm not sure how many HDMI cables I will need to complete all of this, if I have enough ports, or what I connect each one to (ex: sound receiver to TV).

So any help with this would be great, especially how to connect it all so I get surround sound from the PS4, cable TV, etc. The room is a medium sized living room if you need to know that.

Thank you so much for any help with this, I really appreciate it!

Nick

Solution
personally i would not buy a home theater in a box at all.

the dvd/br player/receiver combination boxes are typically just dreadful for hooking up multiple sources.

instead i would get a decent avr (audio video receiver), a set of 5.1 speakers and a subwoofer.

the energytake classic 5.1 set is about $350 and includes all 5 channels and subwoofer and has good reviews. you would just need to buy a receiver which has the features you require. i would say about $500 for everything so a bit more than you were planning on spending however i think it will be much better in the long run.

as far as connectivity with such a setup as i mentioned... everything would run to the avr and one single hdmi would run from the avr to the tv.
Best way to connect it would be 1 HDMI from the cable/DVR and PS4 each to the receiver and 1 HDMI to the TV (3 total). I would buy a home theater in a box that has more than one HDMI input. There are Yamaha and Onkyo units that have more. Otherwise you would have to add an HDMI switch to the Samsung to connect both units.

personally i would not buy a home theater in a box at all.

the dvd/br player/receiver combination boxes are typically just dreadful for hooking up multiple sources.

instead i would get a decent avr (audio video receiver), a set of 5.1 speakers and a subwoofer.

the energytake classic 5.1 set is about $350 and includes all 5 channels and subwoofer and has good reviews. you would just need to buy a receiver which has the features you require. i would say about $500 for everything so a bit more than you were planning on spending however i think it will be much better in the long run.

as far as connectivity with such a setup as i mentioned... everything would run to the avr and one single hdmi would run from the avr to the tv.

Solution

NPorzelt

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Awesome thanks for the help. I talked to my buddy today and he thinks I should go with the following setup. Looking each one up on amazon shows great reviews but let me know what you think. The room it'll be in is about 24x24

POLK AUDIO RM705 5.1 speakers
YAMAHA RX-V375 AV RECEIVER

Also, you think 150 feet of speaker wire should be good?