Need help finding a small (14-15") laptop for college and gaming

Raindog1

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
1. What is your budget?
My budget for this laptop is $1200 to $1300 including the warranty if it comes with one.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14 inch to 15.6 inch.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
The highest would be 1080p but I could live with something a little lower than that.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.
5. How much battery life do you need?
5+ hours but a little less would be fine because I could just buy an external battery pack .
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Really just anything between browser-based games and games like Skyrim, Modern Warfare 2 and 3, Battlefield 3 and maybe 4, Black Ops 1 and 2, and possibly World of Warcraft. I would like to be able to play most of the stuff I have listed at Medium to High settings.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Maybe a little bit of Photo/Video editing and also word processing and programming.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Around 100-200 gigabytes of storage and I am planning on getting an SSD to put in the laptop if it doesn't come with one.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't really need one but if it comes with the laptop that's fine.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Really the only brand that I don't like would be Samsung simply because I have a laptop made by them and it was very poorly built, although it was only about $500. However, it was a budget laptop when I bought it and I would be willing to give Samsung another shot.
13. What country do you live in?
U.S.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
The build quality of the laptop is very important to me. The laptop needs to be 6 pounds or less unless it is a really good laptop. Having a backlit keyboard would be nice but not mandatory.

Solution

Asus N56JR sounds like a decent laptop. The only thing I would be worried about is the 760m might struggle at 1920 x 1080 for higher end games. Tell Micro Center and match the price of Newegg or Tiger Direct. They will do it if you ask.

Raindog1

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

I looked up the fps on Battlefield and Skyrim and they are extremely good, at least in my opinion. However, I read some reviews on it and it seems that its not built very well. Great suggestion though.

Raindog1

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

I looked at your suggestions and they all look really good, but the Sager ones look a bit heavy and the clock speed on the Asus looks a little slow for intense gaming. As for the Lenovos, I'm considering the 510p but I want to get some other suggestions before I make a decision. I appreciate the suggestions though.

fullmetal297

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

Asus N56JR sounds like a decent laptop. The only thing I would be worried about is the 760m might struggle at 1920 x 1080 for higher end games. Tell Micro Center and match the price of Newegg or Tiger Direct. They will do it if you ask.

Solution

Raindog1

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Thanks for the answer, fullmetal297. Got the laptop and I love it-great gaming fps.