Need Help finding an Amplifier / Receiver

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hello,

I'm going to be purchasing 2 bookshelf passive speakers (probably polk monitor 30s or tsi100s) for a 2 channel set up in my home. I need an amplifier or receiver that will output between 20-100 watts to each speaker @ 1% distortion. I'm trying to keep the price under 100.

I've been searching the internet for something. I found a bunch of pyle amps on amazon but it seems that the true watts @ 1% distortion are all to low.

I was thinking maybe this pyle amp http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PCA4-2x120-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0036VO6G4/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1314254597&sr=8-15

But it seems to hit 20 watts right before the 1% distortion level.

Any and all knowledge and recommendations on the topic are welcome, I'm pretty new to the audio side of things. Thanks.

Solution
20-100watts to each speaker? Most of your listening at moderate volume levels will only be a couple of watts. Not to mention you will not be able to buy a stereo amplifier that provides even 50watts per channel for under 100 dollars. The wattage ratings used today are bogus and are under no set standard. I have a stereo amplifier that I bought for $1200 that rates 100Watts per channel...Its a ugly looking set that doesn't have special features or anything...what it does have however, is the juice to deliver the *watts* it claims.

If your speakers are fed 10 watts (real watts, not bogus), you will be flying out of your room, because your ears will be in tremendous pain.

I would be looking into a stereo amplifier that can provide...

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Thanks, I took a look at the link. I like the Lepai Tripath TA2020. Would that be sufficient for the polk monitor 30s? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200

And can you leave an amp like the Lepai Tripath TA2020 on all the time?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
20-100watts to each speaker? Most of your listening at moderate volume levels will only be a couple of watts. Not to mention you will not be able to buy a stereo amplifier that provides even 50watts per channel for under 100 dollars. The wattage ratings used today are bogus and are under no set standard. I have a stereo amplifier that I bought for $1200 that rates 100Watts per channel...Its a ugly looking set that doesn't have special features or anything...what it does have however, is the juice to deliver the *watts* it claims.

If your speakers are fed 10 watts (real watts, not bogus), you will be flying out of your room, because your ears will be in tremendous pain.

I would be looking into a stereo amplifier that can provide 10-35watts from a reasonable brand. I would look into used amplifiers also, as they are cheaper in most cases. So I would check out used amps from harmon kardon...they are a personal favorite budget inclined company. They make some great amps.

Solution

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Thank you for the lesson. That's exactly what I needed to know.

I was sitting there reading the polk 30s saying they recommended an amplifier of 20-100 watts and then I'm looking at these little amps with decent reviews but only outputting realistically 5-15 watts. It was confusing the heck out of me.

I guess polk stated that recommendation with the assumption that most brands will give bogus wattage numbers?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
^I do not know how speaker manufacturers rate how much watts their speakers can handle, because they may use real or bogus watts, depending on the amps they use to test it. However, I know that amplifier makers BS most of their ratings. Anything over 5 real watts, would sound very loud on even inefficient speakers.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks again Blackhawk. Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Lepai Tripath TA2020.

One more question if you don't mind me asking, is it okay to leave an amp on?

For example in a living room atmosphere where everything is remotely controlled it would be nice to just have the amp ready to go with out having to switch it on and off each time.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Yeah, its fine. The receiver in my family room is on 24/7. My best amp stays off and unplugged when not in use, because I'd go insane if something happened to it.

It shouldn't be harmed though. I have a central circuit breaker which will block any surges from lightning...beware of that.