Need help getting sound on a Mitsubishi Model WS-55807

Keith_

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015
I have an older Mitsubishi TV model WS-55807 and I'm trying to hook up a DVD player on it. I want to hook it up to one of the inputs in the back that have a video and two audio female connections. The DVD player (Phillips BDP2105) only has a coaxial output. I tried hooking up a cable from the coax into the red female input (mono) but it didn't work. I can get picture but no sound. Thanks for any help.

Solution
Netflix might give an issue due to copy protection. What you can try to do is when netflix starts playing is bring up the audio/languages menu when a movie starts in netflix and see if 5.1 is selected and see if you can select stereo instead.

Other than that, I think we've exhuasted all the options and it's a Netflix issue/copy protection issue. The above device I linked may work, but check Netflix first and see if you can change the audio stream, otherwise I would say your issue is solved.

Keith_

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015

Hi, this is Keith Again (the site wouldn't resend my password after requesting twice so I set up another account). I bought a converter and hooked it up and now all I get is sound static. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you ahve Dolby turned on in the DVD player settings? You need to set the digital output to PCM or LPCM so it's just straight sound. The device can't convert any encoded sound, only straight audio.

EDIT

1 Press . HOME
2 Select [Setup] > [Audio] to access the
audio setup options.
• [Night Mode]: Select quiet or full dynamic
sound. Night mode decreases the volume
of loud sound and increases the volume of
soft sound (such as speech).
• [HDMI Audio]: Set an HDMI audio format
when this player is connected through
HDMI.
• [Digital Audio]: Select an audio format
for the sound output when this player is
connected through a digital connector
(coaxial).
• [PCM Downsampling]: Set the sampling
rate for PCM audio output when this
player is connected through a digital
connector (coaxial)

From the manual. Try PCM and see what you get.

I meant going from the bluray player to the converter? Is that an RCA cord?

Also, after you switched to PCM, did you exit the menu and possibly reboot the device to let the audio settings stick?

If none of that works, then you need an actual decoder box. They are a bit more expensive. like this. http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B00ANIIY9I

I had to go digging, but found an old thread I remembered with this problem.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2017347/digital-audio-buzzes-motorboat.html

Netflix might give an issue due to copy protection. What you can try to do is when netflix starts playing is bring up the audio/languages menu when a movie starts in netflix and see if 5.1 is selected and see if you can select stereo instead.

Other than that, I think we've exhuasted all the options and it's a Netflix issue/copy protection issue. The above device I linked may work, but check Netflix first and see if you can change the audio stream, otherwise I would say your issue is solved.

Solution