Solved! Need help locating Realtek driver

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I think I originally posted this in the wrong forum – if so, sorry.

I’m having an issue with sound on my new HP Envy x360 laptop. The latest Realtek driver sounds terrible (v6.0.8703.1). There are numerous older versions available which I download from HP’s website that sound much better. However, they only work with the headphone jack (no sound from speakers). So, I tried to “rolled back” to an older version (v.10.0.18362.356) which sounds OKAY – now both phones and speakers (except no Windows equalizer – which I miss).

In case of a Windows 10 update attack where the audio driver is updated without my consent, I want to be able to reinstall the version that works. Does anyone know where I can find a Realtek v10.0.18362.356 driver?

Solution
No, but if all else fails (including HP Tech Support) and it was working fine before the update, open System Restore to see if you have a restore point dated before you installed the new driver. Select that date to restore your system to that point in time. No documents will be affected, but any other changes you made, including driver updates for the chipset, video, printer, some Windows 10 Updates, etc...will also be restored to the time selected.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
No, but if all else fails (including HP Tech Support) and it was working fine before the update, open System Restore to see if you have a restore point dated before you installed the new driver. Select that date to restore your system to that point in time. No documents will be affected, but any other changes you made, including driver updates for the chipset, video, printer, some Windows 10 Updates, etc...will also be restored to the time selected.

Solution

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
It never sounded any good from the get-go (very tinny, no volume, very poor, etc.). I did a few System Restores but nothing made it any better. It’s obviously a problem with the latest default HP Realtek driver v6.0.8703.1 that came installed with the machine.

I looked on line for suggestions and I found numerous others with the same complaint. Most suggestions did not work. One that came close was to download a Realtek driver v.6.0.1.8067 (HP sp79374 dated 2/14/2017). That driver sounded great through the headphone output (phones or external speakers). However, when unplugged, there was no sound out of the laptop speakers. Realtek v10.0.18362.356 sounds OKAY (not as good as v.6.0.1.8067) but works out of both headphones and laptop speakers. One thing that still bothers me with the v10…version is it does not have a Win10 Headphone/Speakers Properties Enhancement tab which includes an equalizer which most certainly helps.

Thank you for your suggestions. Everything is very appreciated.