Need help producing sound from a PS4

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Ok so I was looking at TVs and found that there are really none that are good for gaming. I'd like to get another Asus monitor with 2ms like the one I'm using now but I'd like to get one a little bigger because I'd like to hook up a cable box to it at some point possibly.

So I know you can hook up a cable box and get sound from it but I'm wondering how I'd manage to get sound from my PS4 to play since it's not hooked up to a TV like normal and the monitor doesn't have speakers in it.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
the nice thing about going with something like the energytake 5.1 and a receiver is that you can have multiple sources and easily switch between them. for instance if you have a gaming pc or some other input devices. this is what i myself do.

something like the z906 will also work but if you have multiple sources you will need to unplug some cables (or use an analog source and sacrifice just a bit of quality)

not trying to push you one way or another. just listing some options for you.

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hey Robax thanks for the response. Will this take away from audio quailty. Also I planned on using the HDMI cable it comes with, will this get in the way?

robax91

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I confused the PS4 and PS3 for inputs/output features. Disregard previous post. If you have an analog speaker system already, just get an optical to analog converter and plug them in. Ignore audiophiles when they complain about quality as most of the time, in games, you won't be able to tell the difference. Or just buy an optical audio system.

ps4 should have hdmi output. the monitor should have hdmi input.

depending on what type of audio system you are hooking up to depends on your options for sound.

if your audio system has optical input you can just use the optical output of the ps4 for great sound.

we need to know exactly what sort of connections you have to work with in order to give you the best answer.

i have no idea why he suggested a 3.5mm to rca splitter adapter. perhaps in certain situations you might need to use one but its one of the lowest quality solutions you can use.

please list the details of your setup so we can provide you with a better answer.

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hey ssddx, thanks for responding :)

As of now I have no speakers to hook it up to, that's something I'll get once I find the best way to hook it up.. Those optical ones you were talking about, are there good speakers out there for it?

The monitor I have does have HDMI.

well... what is your budget for speakers?

if you had a large budget and were planning on getting some nice speakers (such as home theater speakers and a receiver) you could run the hdmi straight to the receiver and then video passthrough to the monitor. easy and you get the best sound quality you can get.

if you have a mediocre budget you could buy the z906 computer speakers which have optical input and run that off the optical output from the ps3. while not as great as home theater speakers and while optical isnt as good as hdmi its not a bad setup at all.

if you have a low end budget you could run a soundbar off of the optical output since many of those take optical inputs.

---

what is your budget?

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I usually base my budget on what the market has stuff at. I'm not sure what an average set up goes for which I'd base how much I'm willing to spend on a set up. Sorry for being a pain lol

z906 is about $300
-the computer speakers i was talking about with the optical input.

energy take 5.1 + receiver $350 + approx $100-200
-not a high end set but definitely good value and it has great reviews. your choice of receiver.

my set of medium grade satelite speakers was $500, my sub was $350 and my fairly high end receiver was $500.

for a low budget a soundbar or just hooking your system up with 3.5mm and crappy speakers would work but isnt going to sound great.
if you have $300 or less to spend i'd say the z906 is good.
if you have $500 or less i'd say the energy take 5.1 is good.
for that same budget you could also go for a nice quality 2.0 set with tower speakers.
if you have a larger budget... well many options

honestly until you list what your budget is... its hard to say whats good.

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
That energy take set looks really nice but now that I know the general price for things I see that what I'm willing to pay is on the low end. Guess I'd be looking to spend $100-$300 :/

the nice thing about going with something like the energytake 5.1 and a receiver is that you can have multiple sources and easily switch between them. for instance if you have a gaming pc or some other input devices. this is what i myself do.

something like the z906 will also work but if you have multiple sources you will need to unplug some cables (or use an analog source and sacrifice just a bit of quality)

not trying to push you one way or another. just listing some options for you.

Solution

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Well xmas and my bday aren't to far away so I know what I'll be looking to get. Def like the fact you can have multiple things hooked up to the energytake, since I do have a PC that I'd like to use with speakers sometime.

Thanks for the help ssddx :D