Pratyay67

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
I currently have an old 5.1 Sony system in my home, the amplifier of which is likely to expire soon, but the speakers and the sub-woofer work just fine ( I tested by hooking them up to other sources). After that, I plan on upgrading.

I have decided to buy a Yamaha A/V receiver, with 9.2 at the most ( I can use the current speakers and woofer there, so I have to buy a 4.1 in terms of speakers).
I plan on hooking them up comprising two rooms, which would be pretty easy for me considering the layout of the two rooms.

The problem is that sometimes I'd need to stream music in only one room, keeping the other switched off. Is there any way to do that?

I also have a Blu-Ray player. Can the BR player be hooked up to the A/V receiver so that I can only stream music (through CDs and DVDs) when I want to?

Solution
Check to see if your new receiver has multiple zones. I'm guessing it does (7.1 and 2.1). If so, then there is likely an option to switch between zones. For instance. My Onkyo HT-S3300 is a 7.1 receiver with two zones. A 5.1 zone (A) and a 2.0 zone (B). There is a switch on my receiver that allows me to toggle between A Only, B Only, A+B, or None.

If yours is like this, then you set up Zone A in one room, Zone B in the other room and just toggle between them.

-Wolf sends
Check to see if your new receiver has multiple zones. I'm guessing it does (7.1 and 2.1). If so, then there is likely an option to switch between zones. For instance. My Onkyo HT-S3300 is a 7.1 receiver with two zones. A 5.1 zone (A) and a 2.0 zone (B). There is a switch on my receiver that allows me to toggle between A Only, B Only, A+B, or None.

If yours is like this, then you set up Zone A in one room, Zone B in the other room and just toggle between them.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Pratyay67

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

Well, I haven't bought the receiver yet, but now that you enlightened me about this zone thing, I'll make sure that it has one while buying the receiver.
Thanks a lot.

Can you suggest me some good receivers, nonetheless?
Until now I have plans to buy a Yamaha 9.2, but I'm open to other options as well, as long as it gives the performance I need ( moderate to base-high, not audiophile stuff), and as long as it fits my budget of, say $1200.

Also, it should have that toggling option like you said.

LOL!

I'd suggest opening another thread and asking that question. I've bought exactly three receivers in my life. The first was a Kenwood way back in 1991. The second was a cheapo piece of crap that I wanted to replace almost as soon as I bought it. And then there is my current Onkyo which I am extremely happy with, but none that I bought cost me over $350.

I REALLY do not have any solid suggestions for you.

-Wolf sends

Edit: What's the model number of the Yamaha you're looking at?

Pratyay67

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

Thank you! That's definitely more than what can be asked for.