Pratyay67

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
Well, this may be a lot to take in, but this is the scenario.

We have an old sony DVD amplifier that we bought back in 2008, which is on the verge of breathing its last, and I might as well use the 5.1 speaker system that works fine (I have tested on other sources).
We have a three story house, the TV being fixed in the 1st floor and the current sony dvd player being in the second floor. We don't watch TV a lot, so it'd be better if the a/v receiver which we'll buy during upgrading remains in the second floor, as we hear a lot of music and we primarily inhabit in the second floor. But if there is a way to keep the av receiver in the 1st floor with the TV, and maybe find a way to have 7.2 surround sound in the 2nd floor, it'd be best.

I will use the existing speaker system in my bedroom with a separate receiver that I will buy sometime in the future.

What should be the most effective way to do it?
I know I have been vague in a lot of places, but it'd be best if I can clarify my questions based on what you ask, rather than taking the hassle of explaining everything at once, and failing miserably.

Solution
If you need surround sound in two rooms you will need two receivers.
The speaker settings would be different in each room, you would need to send audio from the remote TV down to the receiver and control it from the other room.
There are receivers that have zone 2 video and audio but not surround sound in both.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The problem is that most new amps are multizone capable but your old amp might not have that. With a multizone capable amp, you can keep the amp downstairs and have your speakers upstairs if you wanted.

Pratyay67

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

I am aware of the multi-zone capability. Lets say I buy a 7.2 channel amp, with zone I and zone II enabled. I keep the amp where my TV is, and keep 5.1 speaker system in that room. So, I'm left with a 2.1 channel to use in zone II. Now, my question is, is there a way to increase the 2.1 to 5.1 or above? I know I can't increase the receiver's output for zone II, so is there a way I can do that?

If you need surround sound in two rooms you will need two receivers.
The speaker settings would be different in each room, you would need to send audio from the remote TV down to the receiver and control it from the other room.
There are receivers that have zone 2 video and audio but not surround sound in both.

Solution