need help to upgrade old laptop ( acer aspire 5930 )

MaGoOoDy

Commendable
May 5, 2016
i have my laptop ( acer aspire 5930 ) since 2008, and it served me to much , but i want to try to upgrade so i can use it from time to time.
i ran CPU-Z and this is the results :

what is the best processor i can use ? core 2 due with higher clock or Quad core processor ?
is there any chance to upgrade the motherboard itself ?

i have observed that the processor socket is ( P 478 ) , and i have did some search and i found these options :

Intel Core 2 Extreme X9100 3.06GHz SLB48 SLGE7 6MB Socket P 478-pin
Intel Core 2 Extreme X9100 3.06GHz SLB48 SLGE7 6MB Socket P 478-pin
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 2.53GHz LB5J 12MB Quad-core Socket P 478-pin
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz 6MB Mobile CPU Processor Socket P 478-pin
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile P9700 2.80GHz/6MB/1066MHz Socket P 478-pin

but i don't know how to check the BIOS capability to use these processors . . !!!

another thing is the above mentioned processors have thermal power design as 35 watt and higher , while the stock CPU has 25 watt only , how can i reduce/minimize the temperature later ?

Solution
Especially for an Acer laptop which use cheaper parts, I would not go over the existing CPU wattage but there is a post here with some info, don't know if it was verified as working http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/acer-aspire-5930g-upgrades.428189/

Changing the motherboard and CPU would cost what a faster used laptop would cost. Best thing you can do for an upgrade that is worth the cost is to install a 120 gig solid state hard drive in the system and maybe upgrade to 8 gb or RAM with a clean 64 bit Windows setup (re-using the existing OEM key).
Especially for an Acer laptop which use cheaper parts, I would not go over the existing CPU wattage but there is a post here with some info, don't know if it was verified as working http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/acer-aspire-5930g-upgrades.428189/

Changing the motherboard and CPU would cost what a faster used laptop would cost. Best thing you can do for an upgrade that is worth the cost is to install a 120 gig solid state hard drive in the system and maybe upgrade to 8 gb or RAM with a clean 64 bit Windows setup (re-using the existing OEM key).

Solution

MaGoOoDy

Commendable
May 5, 2016
how i can replace the RAM with 8GB ?!!! as far as i know 4GB is the maximum RAM could be installed..

also, the current windows Vista is 32bit , and your suggesting to do installation for 64bit OS, is it applicable with this motherboard ??

as for upgrading, i am planning to buy all the stuff as USED parts that is will reduce the amount of spending on this laptop, so i will go with :
- Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile P9700 2.80GHz/6MB/1066MHz Socket P 478-pin.
- 500GB SSHD.
- windows 7 pro .

also, i have found there is un update for BIOS to move it to versions up from ( 1.21 to 1.23 ) , but i don't know what are the advantages will be bring by this update, even i don't know how to check the maximum capabilities of this BIOS in terms of ( RAM, CPU, .... etc )

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
If you are on a 32 bit OS, yes the maximum ram the system will use is 4GB.

Have you checked to see that the CPU is not soldered directly to the motherboard as is common in some laptops?

Does the Acer website where you found out about the BIOS versions not explain what issues the later versions fixes?

Like mentioned above, that is a pretty old laptop and you may be better off buying a used newer version.