Need help with a slow new laptop!

Redstiza

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
So I just recently got this netbook and it's nothing crazy, but it still feels way to slow. I need to use this thing temporarily but it has been freezing up and slowing down since the day I started it up which was only 4 months ago. Is there anything I can do to possibly speed it up? I've removed a large amount of what was included, optimized it to performance in the settings, allocated RAM, but nothing has had much of an effect. It's an ASUS running Windows 8, 4GB RAM, Intel Processor and Graphics and still has a bit over 300gb free.

If possible, I really wouldn't mind wiping everything aside from the OS if that also means anything not necessary to run the computer would also be removed as well.

thatmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
There are a lot of ways to speed up a laptop.

1. Download and run Malwarebytes. Viruses can cause computers to slow down.
2. Download and run CCleaner. You can clear your browser cache and solve issues in the registry.
3. Update Windows. Sometimes you get lucky and some updates can improve the speed of your computer.
4. Download and run Pirform Defraggler. Defrags your hard drive so, it reduces time to search for files which, should lead to a increase in performance.
5. Type msconfig.msc and click the start up tab. You can pick what programs auto start and this can increase boot speed.
6. Go to action center and click run maintenance. This allows Windows to perform idle tasks and should help with computer speed.

Redstiza

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
I do have the option to upgrade to windows 10, would that help anything?

thatmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
It would help with stability and boot speed to some degree yes. However, there have been reports of some printers not working with Windows 10 and a couple bugs. Other then that its a good upgrade however, I would recommend backing up any data up you have that is important.

Redstiza

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
Alright, I'll give those a shot and see what happens. Thanks!