silverforte

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I just got an LCD HD Sony Bravia KDL-26m4000 television from Rent-a-center and everything with it is fine except for the ACE (Advanced contrast enhancer) setting. I have it hooked up to my PS3 and I'm trying to enjoy my games on it but whenever the screen changes, the television will adjust the brightness to either increase or decrease based on the picture. This is extremely frustrating and it completely eliminates the entire point of having brightness and backlight menu settings. I've turned off the light sensor and can't find any option for the ACE setting. I can't find anything on the internet about it, and when I emailed customer support at Sony, they told me:

'I'm sorry that the brightness changes intermittently in your Sony TV. Based on the information provided, I suggest that you change the backlight and check the operation. Please refer to page number 30 of the instruction manual for the information about changing the backlight.'

It's not the backlight, I told them in my email what it was in detail and asked for a method for disabling it.

Does anyone know how I can turn this stupid ACE thing off if there's no menu setting for it? I really can't tolerate this TV if it's going to alter the image when it thinks it's best, and this is the only good TV from the Rent-a-center where I live. I appreciate any help.

mrtired

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Call Sony Support. Ask them for a USB firmware upgrade. They will mail you one and hopefully give you the correct features to disbale. The last time I fixed one, I had to disable the Dynamic Contrast/Contrast Enhancer and set the backlight to 80%.