Need help with audio set up

EpicOrBust

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
I am currently saving for some Beyer 770s, and I am very new to audio in general. I want to know if there would be a difference running the 250 ohm or the 80 ohm from, let's say an iPod. I basically want to know if 250 ohm would sound ok without an amp, which I am planning on getting down the road.

If needed, the amp I am planning on getting is the Schiit Magni 2.

Solution
sure, there is a difference.

your ipod would likely power the 32ohm version without issue. it may power the 80ohm but likely not to as high volume levels and with less bass than you would get with an amp. it likely would not do a very good job at all with the 250ohm. the amp in the ipod (at least the classic, not sure about the touch) is pretty strong for a portable but still you may be asking too much from them.

sound "quality" tends to be best on the 250, then 80, then 32. the 80 is the bassiest of them, the 32 the least. they all have a V shaped (more treble and bass than mids) sound profile.

if you want the 80 or 250 i would say that you will want to certainly get an amp of some sort.
sure, there is a difference.

your ipod would likely power the 32ohm version without issue. it may power the 80ohm but likely not to as high volume levels and with less bass than you would get with an amp. it likely would not do a very good job at all with the 250ohm. the amp in the ipod (at least the classic, not sure about the touch) is pretty strong for a portable but still you may be asking too much from them.

sound "quality" tends to be best on the 250, then 80, then 32. the 80 is the bassiest of them, the 32 the least. they all have a V shaped (more treble and bass than mids) sound profile.

if you want the 80 or 250 i would say that you will want to certainly get an amp of some sort.

Solution