Need help with Macbook Pro purchase for editing purposes

Moonwatcher

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
Good evening,

I have decided to purchase a Macbook Pro, mainly to be used for video editing. I reside in South America and unfortunately the thought of purchasing a brand new model comes with certain hesitation as resellers tend to overprice the models. I have reduced my options to two models (keeping price range in mind) - one new and one used - and I cannot decide which one seems like the better purchase. They are the following:

Used
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
ME293xx/A
15.4"/2.0 Quad-core i7/8GB/256-Flash
$1,400
(This model is not brand new, but it has been only used for exhibition and according to the owner it has been used for no more than a couple of months. The battery cycle count is around 150 charges) Thankfully, it has been taken care of extremely well and even seems brand new, no scratches on body or screen, etc).

New (Sealed)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
MGX82xx/A
13.3”/2.6 i5/8GB/256-Flash
$1,650 ($150 more than the original price)

The former model is an old one, albeit with many similar specs as the new one. On a positive side, the older model is an i7 and it does have a larger screen.

Can anybody please provide me with suggestions as to which purchase would be better? Keeping in mind I plan to use the Macbook mostly for video editing. Also, does anybody have experience with the former, older model? Is it any good? Does it suffer from any drawbacks being that it does not have 16gb of ram like the newer 15 inch models have?

Many thanks in advance !

Moonwatcher

Without a doubt, the older Macbook Pro with an i7. The difference is between a quad-core processor and a dual-core processor, which is significant.

Even if it's older, the older Macbook Pro will outperform the newer 13" Macbook Pro significantly and you will see a tremendous difference in video editing!

Enjoy your new Macbook Pro (fellow owner)!

:D