Need help with Micca Mb42s

Harjot

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Hi guys,
So i just bought a pair of Micca Mb42s and a lepai 2020A+ for the classic low cost entry build. I have a pair of rca cables connecting the amp to my phone or computer and i am using 16 gauge speaker wires. After setting everything up and going for a test i noticed a rather loud static noise from both speakers as soon as i turned the amp on. I looked over all my connections and everything seems ok, and even after re-connecting the speakers with new wires the static persists. The speakers do play music if i turn the volume nob to 10 on the amp, but its barely audible over the static. Please help.

Solution
you have already tried new wires and new source. its likely the amplifier.

while i've never used the 2020a (we use a dta120) its a low quality budget amp - i wouldnt be surpised if you got a defective unit.

the 2020a always gets recommended as a cheap amp (even by me at times) but one must realize what it is - a budget unit that has high distortion if you push it too hard and its a budget unit so you might get a dud once in awhile.

i'd try replacing the amp and see if anything improves.
you have already tried new wires and new source. its likely the amplifier.

while i've never used the 2020a (we use a dta120) its a low quality budget amp - i wouldnt be surpised if you got a defective unit.

the 2020a always gets recommended as a cheap amp (even by me at times) but one must realize what it is - a budget unit that has high distortion if you push it too hard and its a budget unit so you might get a dud once in awhile.

i'd try replacing the amp and see if anything improves.

Solution

Harjot

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

sorry, most i know of are so-so which is why i went with a dta-120 myself. i have nothing but praise for that one after having used it for half a year so far.

the cheapo amps do work, but really they cost $20 for a reason and honestly they are meant for low power speakers.

another option, the pb42x is a self powered model of the mb42