Need help with Surround sound hook up.

Katy B

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
My husband and I just built a house. We put in surround sound. The panel is in one of the closets. I am trying to hook up my 7 year old DVD/Receiver combo and it has the composite red, white, and yellow hook up. The panel has the red, blue, and green, component hook up. How can I hook this up?

Solution
You need three cables with RCA connectors at both ends. You have three so don't worry about the colors. If your TV has a composite video input you are set.
You will need to connect the green cable to the composite video connection (usually yellow) at both ends. The red and blue will go to the audio connections (usually red and white) at both ends.
This will feed the DVD picture to the TV. If you need to feed sound from the TV back to the closet you will need more cables.

te100

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
you will most likely need a converter but check your manual cause like my tv only has component it allows rca (red white yellow) hook up its says to hook up yellow to like the green your manual will say this if it allows it.

You need three cables with RCA connectors at both ends. You have three so don't worry about the colors. If your TV has a composite video input you are set.
You will need to connect the green cable to the composite video connection (usually yellow) at both ends. The red and blue will go to the audio connections (usually red and white) at both ends.
This will feed the DVD picture to the TV. If you need to feed sound from the TV back to the closet you will need more cables.

Solution

te100

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
you have to connect red and white (sound) at both ends, yellow (video) will have to be converted to red green blue or like my tv green is also yellow for older components check your manual it will tell you. Colors do not matter as long as they are connected the same at both ends so you can use rca(red white yellow) or a component cable(red green blue)