Question Need Help

Feb 14, 2022
My Acer Nitro 5 AN517-52 won't power up after cleaning fans. I get nothing to show that it's plugged in. I checked the power supply and it's fine. I'm drowning. I keep looking for a problem that I may have created but I don't see how I could. Could it be the keyboard?

Last edited:
Could be ESD damage. Using a vacuum (if it had a brush) is a no-no. If you touched any components or traces inside, something could be blown. I agree with COL that it could be a connection. Get your hands on the service manual and follow the procedures in that. Messing around inside a laptop without knowing what you are doing is a recipe for disaster. That's why you need the service manual (or a lot of experience).

Feb 14, 2022
Sounds like something didn't get reconnected properly or was damaged during the process.

I would double-check all connections/connectors.
That's just it. I didn't disconnect anything for that reason. As for the vacuum, it never touched any components. I kept it at least an inch away and just let it draw the birds nest of hair and dust as I used a cotton swab with a little alcohol. I've done this more times than I can remember and never had a problem. The part that blew me away was that when the power cable was reattached there was no light on the unit saying it was connected. It's possible something was damaged, I just don't see how. Took the advice and ordered a service manual.

Feb 14, 2022
Could be ESD damage. Using a vacuum (if it had a brush) is a no-no. If you touched any components or traces inside, something could be blown. I agree with COL that it could be a connection. Get your hands on the service manual and follow the procedures in that. Messing around inside a laptop without knowing what you are doing is a recipe for disaster. That's why you need the service manual (or a lot of experience).
No brush on the vacuum and it never made contact with anything. Took your advice and ordered a service manual. The same with ESD. Always make sure to wear latex gloves. The one mistake I made was not disconnecting the battery.

Latex gloves are not anti-static. However, if you are sure you touched nothing inside, ESD damage is unlikely. The service manual should tell you how to take ESD precautions. It's possible that you were just unlikely and the machine decided to die. I assume the battery still had charge. Are you saying that when you put it back together it wouldn't start up even from the battery only?

Feb 14, 2022
Latex gloves are not anti-static. However, if you are sure you touched nothing inside, ESD damage is unlikely. The service manual should tell you how to take ESD precautions. It's possible that you were just unlikely and the machine decided to die. I assume the battery still had charge. Are you saying that when you put it back together it wouldn't start up even from the battery only?
Exactly. It will not boot from the battery and it was fully charged.

Is there normally a light that illuminates when the machine is off but plugged into external power? if that is not lighting up and the machine won't come on with just batteries, there is a good chance you have a problem with the power supply (internal on the motherboard). The power supply circuitry powers the light after converting the power coming in from the external power supply. I assume you have already done the hold down the power button for 15 seconds to do a hard reset--although I doubt that will help. Your next step is likely a repair shop or send the unit back to the manufacturer.

Feb 14, 2022
Is there normally a light that illuminates when the machine is off but plugged into external power? if that is not lighting up and the machine won't come on with just batteries, there is a good chance you have a problem with the power supply (internal on the motherboard). The power supply circuitry powers the light after converting the power coming in from the external power supply. I assume you have already done the hold down the power button for 15 seconds to do a hard reset--although I doubt that will help. Your next step is likely a repair shop or send the unit back to the manufacturer.
I had come to that conclusion after doing more research. It never made any sense to me why it wouldn't power on from the battery. I've done several builds and never come across this issue. Thanks for all the advice.