Need inputs on finalizing laptop (Purchasing tomorrow)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trackblazer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hello guys...

Planning to purchase a laptop for myself tomorrow.
So i understand its kinda late but the decision just popped up.

My requirements:
1) IBM RAD, Eclipse etc
2) Few gaming sessions. Prefer games like Batman AC.

A) Now the laptop i zeroed in on is Dell XPS 15, with Nvidia GT540. Getting this laptop in 2 flavors:
1) 4GB DDR3
2) 6GB DDR3

Which one should i go for ..?
I am not head over heels for out and out performance (i understand that the GT540 is not a very high end gfx card..) but some decent graphics for Batman AC.

B) XPS 15 is also available with 4GB DDR3 and GT 525 1GB gfx card.
How good is this gfx card for my gaming needs ?

trackblazer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Ok guys..
seems like i am gonna finalize my choice soon now. Many thanks for the inputs..
Now for the home stretch..

I was fine with finalizing DV6 6121 when i was told it has been discontinued.
Then came the option of DV6 7012 (i5 2450M/6GB DDR3/) which has NVIDIA GeForce 630M 2GB.. which seemed a good deal better than the GT540 2GB.

1) Do HP machines run hotter ? Esp the ones mentioned above..?
If i have to use the machine with the laptop cooler.. i dont know if i ll prefer that.

2) How is the temp of Dell XPS 15 ? Do i need a laptop cooler along with it ?

3) Which one do you guys prefer between the two..
Dell XPS 15 (i5 2450M/4GB DDR3/GT540 2GB) Vs
HP DV6 7012 (i5 2450M/6GB DDR3/Nvidia 630M 2GB)
..?

XPS is about 10% expensive than the 7012. None of the laptops have Full HD screens as an option, so i ll have to be satisfied with WLED type displays.

4) @WR2
You did mentioned that one should get as better a GPU as possible.. but till what limit should this logic be followed..? i mean if the machine is not coming up with a decent screen which ll display the effects.. then is it still justified to get better card still?

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
25% failure rate should be reason enough. I've seen too many with keys falling off, mobo's dying, screens stop working, hard drives dying. Just don't buy an HP laptop. Buy a lenovo, Asus, Dell...anything but HP.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/