Need Laptop (Specifications in post)

ajpaolello

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Budget: under $4000

Uses: Gaming and Twitch Streaming, school

Notes: I know I should get a desktop, however I am going to college in a year and I plan on using this laptop there as well.

Veepeein

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Get a desktop and a laptop or get the MSI Shadow + Gaming dock. The shadow is just a a super fast laptop but the graphics arn't great however it has a docking port that let's you hook up a desktop GPU so you could basically hook it up to a TITAN. There are a few other laptops that can use a docking station with but I don't remember off the top of my head.

ajpaolello

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Yes I know about the shadow. The only thing that bothers me is that you need a screen, keyboard, and mouse for it. And the whole buying a graphics card.

The other "dock" would be the graphics amplifier from Alienware. Same concept, but it only houses a graphics card.

I've tried getting both. Nothing will convince my parents to let me build or buy a desktop.

Veepeein

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Can you get two laptops? one with an i5-i7 and 8-16gbs of ram and no GPU (for streaming) and one with an i7 and maybe 2 970m gpus (for gaming) That way the gaming laptop can use all of its CPU for gaming and doesn't get slowed down by streaming.

Veepeein

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Really your best bet is to talk to them and explain the benefit of having a desktop. (Much more powerful, much more reliable, always there (incase battery dies, laptop breaks or gets stolen), you get to learn about computers, it can be helpful for your major (autocad = engineering, render times = art , cloud computing = business , programming = cis ) Just what ever you say DO NOT SAY you want it so you can play games.

Veepeein

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Then I would suggest an ASUS, MSI, or maybe LENOVO with a 970m or 980m maybe sli, 16gb+ ram and some sort of SSD. just go on their sites and customize them. pick one that is slim enough to carry. Trust me you don't want to carry around a 9 pound brick with thousands of LEDs on the side. Go for something slim try to get a monitor/mouse/keyboard too.