Need Monitor for Laptop Gaming

Phani 12599

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hi,

I have Lenovo Z50-70 laptop with these specs (8GB RAM-4GB GPU-i5 (upto 2.4GHz)) and I would like to purchase a monitor to play the games (I love playing in big screen!!) which is under 24".

Can anybody tell me what do I have to look before purchase monitor..? (like refresh rate, response time.. I'm confused about these terms!!??)

Thanks.

Solution
The monitor you purchase should have a HDMI port which should be common for all LCD monitor except for maybe the very least expensive ones.

I think your laptop only has a nVidia 840m. If so, then it is not a very powerful GPU. A monitor with 60Hz refresh rate should be fine since the games you will be playing on that laptop will very likely perform at less than 60 FPS; especially if you want to play any graphically intensive game released within the past 5 years. The refresh rate determines the max number of FPS the monitor can display. 60Hz monitors can display at most 60 FPS. 120Hz monitors can display up to 120 FPS.

Response time basically determines how it takes the pixels in a LCD screen to change colors. The higher the response...

guanyu210379

Distinguished
1. Budget
2. Find the best gaming monitor according to nr. 1.

If you want among the best of the bests, get a 27" 2560x1440 144Hz IPS GSync monitor.
If you want something more affordable get a 24" 1920x1080 144Hz TN monitor.
OR simply get the best out of your budget. No matter how good the monitor is, it is useless if you can not afford it.

The monitor you purchase should have a HDMI port which should be common for all LCD monitor except for maybe the very least expensive ones.

I think your laptop only has a nVidia 840m. If so, then it is not a very powerful GPU. A monitor with 60Hz refresh rate should be fine since the games you will be playing on that laptop will very likely perform at less than 60 FPS; especially if you want to play any graphically intensive game released within the past 5 years. The refresh rate determines the max number of FPS the monitor can display. 60Hz monitors can display at most 60 FPS. 120Hz monitors can display up to 120 FPS.

Response time basically determines how it takes the pixels in a LCD screen to change colors. The higher the response time is the more likely you will see ghosting which can be annoying to some gamers. Your laptop has a TN panel screen which generally has 2ms response time. However, many gaming laptops have IPS panel screens which generally have 5ms response time and is generally fine for playing games.

Other than response times the difference between TN and IPS screens is cost and viewing angles. IPS monitors tends to cost more than TN panels. TN panels generally have poor viewing angles which means colors can easily fade as you tilt your head or the screen itself. IPS screens have better viewing angles where colors fade a lot less compared to the average typical TN screen.

Generally speaking, if the GPU is not powerful enough to push at least 80 FPS, then there is no real point in buying a LCD monitor with more than 60Hz refresh rate since you will likely not be able to tell much of a difference between 60 FPS and 80 FPS.

Solution

Phani 12599

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014

Thanks for the useful information.