Need new laptop ( which brand )

kilorth

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Since I deleted my big wall of text post twice like an damn idiot, I'm not rewriting all that junk. ( Not forum friendly enough to use a damn text editor beforehand... )

So, I'll get to it. I need to buy at Staples since I got merchandise-card there, ( 420$ bucks to be exact ).
I'm a quebecer ( yeah not word ), so I live in Quebec, Canada. I want to know which brand to buy.

I'm looking into Asus. ( Asus K40IN Laptop PC, Sku 799393 )

They sell Acer, Hp, Toshiba and Asus at Staples here. ( And dell and a MSI one ) So was wondering if my choice was good or not. I'm gonna go and research review about Asus laptop right after this post, but it's easy to ask expert before.

So, which laptop brand is worth it?

PS: Yeah it's Home Basic on that Asus, but I'm putting Xp on it as soon as I press Power, I checked Asus site.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Don't buy a PC based on it's brand name. Compare them all hardware-wise, choose the best, then look up reviews. Just because a company made someone happy in the past doesn't mean their next products will - brand loyalty is an excellent way to waste money and induce frustration.

Also, save yourself some frustration and keep Vista. It's far better than XP.

thingieing

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
get asus, samsung, lenovo, msi, toshiba, sony w/ intel chip
stay away from acer, emachine, gateway, compaq, hp as they are made from the same manufacturer in china, where as emachine the cheapest then acer, gateway, compaq then hp, and hp itz just overpriced crap

also stay away from amd, it heats up too much but desktop gaming, they are amazing

juz take whatever os they give you, just download a copy of xp, and install it urself or use windows 7 beta/rc as it is much better than vista even though is not in itz final stage

kilorth

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Well I guess the new on the front page agreed with me with Asus for a laptop.

@ Frozenlead: It's crappy staples site, so I knew it probably wasn't Vista Basic, it's Premium on that model actually. The thing is it's a 32 bit one I think. I'm just gonna keep it like that until I buy a copy of Windows 7 64-bit. And yeah, I said buy one.

Also, I deleted my post twice like I said by mistake, but hardware is not a problem for me. All I want to know are if Asus are more reliable than other brand in "GENERAL". Normally, cat make cat, so they "SHOULD" still be build better as other laptop brand if you compare similiar category models. There is always some exception, like everything.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Asus notebooks are of fairly good quality. They tend to skimp a bit on their chassis structure - most Asus notebook reviews I've seen carry some warning of case cracks. But, so long as you treat the notebook nicely, an Asus will be glad to return the favor.