Need some advice for a multimedia Laptop

Marcucus

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
1_What is your budget?
up to $2000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17" would be great

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Higher possible

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'm going to the U.S. for one year to get a BBA at Temple University, so I guess it's more a desktop replacement laptop

5_How much battery life do you need?
i'd like 2 hours, at least one and a half, In case I need to bring my laptop in class

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I'd like to play WoW and Fallout 3 And i'd like to be able to play these in high resolution

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
I use Photoshop, Sony Vegas for school projects and games. I'd like to use pSX (Playstation emulator) so that I can use my European games :p (but I guess 100 % of today's CPU's are enough to run it smoothely)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I don't really need a lot of storage, I do record a bit of my video Games with fraps But I don't keep my raw footage once I've edited and encoded the final video.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'd like my laptop to last for at least 2 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

I like the fingerprint Identification thingy, I know it sounds silly but I find it Kinda cool :D

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't really have a problem with any brand, but I have been looking around for quite some time already and found two good looking laptops : The new alienware m17 and the Asus G71.

13_What country do you live in?
France

If I go for the Alienware I won't be able to put the best CPU in it because it would go over my budget and I still want to retain a few other things ( Namely the wideUXGA+ 1920*1200 screen and 4gigs of DDR3)
Is it better to go for the Core2 Duo T9400 or the Core 2 Quad Q9000 ?
I've had some issues with my Q9450 coupled to an ATI HD 4870 in WoW (I get <16 FPS in some zones) and I don't want to risk that on my laptop.

Solution
Nah, you didn't forget it, I just overlooked it.

I don't know of any companies that sell Clevo notebooks in France, unfortunately.

Anyway, back to your questions-

What is CPU you have in the config right now, including the better screen and extra RAM?

Since you're using Vegas, I'd recommend the quad core, but, remember, that decision will seriously impair your battery life, and I doubt you'll get 1.5 hours out of it. If you don't want to live with that, get the dual (and you'll just have to deal with the slower rendering times).

Marcucus

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks a lot for your advice, which reminds me that I forgot one precision:
In France we use Azerty keyboards instead of Qwerty's and I'd rather have an Azerty as I type much faster with it :p
Besides Sager and XoticPC do not accept credit cards from international customers which is a pain for me.

If you know of any reseller that sells these PC in Europe i'd be very interested, I have been looking a bit on google to find a reseller but without success

frozenlead

Distinguished
Nah, you didn't forget it, I just overlooked it.

I don't know of any companies that sell Clevo notebooks in France, unfortunately.

Anyway, back to your questions-

What is CPU you have in the config right now, including the better screen and extra RAM?

Since you're using Vegas, I'd recommend the quad core, but, remember, that decision will seriously impair your battery life, and I doubt you'll get 1.5 hours out of it. If you don't want to live with that, get the dual (and you'll just have to deal with the slower rendering times).

Solution