Need some surround sound help

sebates06

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
i am trying to hookup my lg 55ub8500 tv to a dvd surround sound system samsung h6500wm thru my sony receiver(str-dh520). I cant get the surround sound to work at all except for the middle speaker when a dvd is playing. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Solution
The Samsung DVD/HTS is designed to use it's own main unit and doesn't have a way for you to use the Sony receiver as well.
To use the Sony you would need a powered subwoofer and a plain DVD or BD player (without HTS).
You could use the 5 speakers from the Samsung but not the subwoofer since the power amp for that is in the Samsung main unit and real surround sound receivers don't have that amp built in to them.
The Samsung DVD/HTS is designed to use it's own main unit and doesn't have a way for you to use the Sony receiver as well.
To use the Sony you would need a powered subwoofer and a plain DVD or BD player (without HTS).
You could use the 5 speakers from the Samsung but not the subwoofer since the power amp for that is in the Samsung main unit and real surround sound receivers don't have that amp built in to them.

Solution
Hello. I'll assume you are using HDMI? The Samsung has no surround output on the HDMI connector. It is designed to be used as a standalone. It will only output the CENTER because it assumes you want to use a TV as the Center speaker, even though it's the SONY.