Need Student/Gaming laptop

Xuvea

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hi, I'm looking for a student laptop but something that works well for gaming. don't want anything cheat but nothing too spendy

1_What is your budget?
around $1000-$2000
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15"
3_What screen resolution do you want?
medium to high resolution
4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
somewhat portable
5_How much battery life do you need?
around 3 hours
6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
yes, want to be able to run Eve at medium settings
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
not a priority
8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
160Gb
9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3+ years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
prefer name brands, no off brands
13_What country do you live in?
US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
want to be able to use the laptop surfing web and writing papers

Solution
5730M performs nowhere near a 5850/5870M but its a good mid-range card.
Aside from overheating problems, i don't see any other cons with XPS 16.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

The Alienware M15x is a great mid-sized gaming laptop. It has a super powerful 2.8 GHz Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor and NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M graphics. It also has 250 GB of hard drive space. This gaming laptop is also right in the middle of your price range at $1499.

What do you think of the Alienware?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

snagglepuss

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
ASUS makes some really good laptops you should conciser getting the asus G51Jx-X5
it's a 15.6" laptop with some good specs

GPU: nVidia GeForce GTS 360M 1GB GDDR5 VRAM
CPU: Intel Core i7-720QM, 1.60-2.80GHz, 2.5 GT/s, 45nm, 6MB, 45W
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1066
HDD: 500GB 7200rpm SATA II

Laptop found at link posted below

http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=G51JX-X5&Category_Code=AS15&Product_Count=6

laptop is not really my strong point but this seems to be a good laptop and i have had no problems with my asus laptop so far.

Xuvea

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I would acually like to stick to products dell sells. Do you know if the dell studio xps 16 is any good? I know it had some heating issues, but other than that how is it? The xps was customized with the upgraded screen, 500 gb HDD, intel i7-740QM quad core processor, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 - 1GB and 4gb RAM, as well as everything that is incuded.

Crysis 2 isn't out yet so i can't exactly tell you, but its said that its less demanding than the original game,if that turns out to be true then you can run it fine on medium settings on a low resolution.
Same goes with eve, you'll be fine with medium settings