Need Windows version For weak Laptop

deviljin666

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015
hello. i have a laptop that is very weak. the cpu is AMD E1-6010 1.3 GHz and it has 2gb ram but it runs veeery slow. current os win10 and suffering... what do you suggest?

Solution
end of support January 2020.
deviljin666, what is the make & model# of your laptop to see the max amount of ram able to go into it?

"Performance

As the E2-6010 offers just two cores at up to 1.35 GHz, the resulting performance is quiet low. Overall, the APU is even slower than the old E1-2500 (1.4 GHz). Only simple workloads like Office, light Internet browsing and multimedia will be handled adequate"
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-Series-E1-6010-Notebook-Processor.115407.0.html

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
that's probably as light as you can go with Windows. After that you'd have to check out some Linux distros but truth be told that system is weak and is always going to run slow in comparison to a decent build.

Linux Mint for instance claims it can run on just 512MB of RAM.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
win 7 with pretty much everything disabled should run pretty good. i had that on an old slow laptop and had little problem other than the time it took to turn everything off.

i do mean everything like superfetch, search features, indexing and most anything else you can think of to turn off. go into services and have a look see. you can also find lists of services safe to turn off in various places on the web. a nice google search will turn up a few easily :)

edit: forgot the most important thing to turn off is the aero theme. that was the biggest resource hog. leaves it looking like classic windows but it'll speed things up a lot

Win 7 is really your only choice in windows as win 8 and 8.1 are much more intensive in my opinion. You could try win xp but microsoft doesn't support that any more. Just be aware that win 7 will no longer be sold after 2016. I am not sure if they are planning on stopping win 7 support after that though.

ffg7

Splendid
end of support January 2020.
deviljin666, what is the make & model# of your laptop to see the max amount of ram able to go into it?

"Performance

As the E2-6010 offers just two cores at up to 1.35 GHz, the resulting performance is quiet low. Overall, the APU is even slower than the old E1-2500 (1.4 GHz). Only simple workloads like Office, light Internet browsing and multimedia will be handled adequate"
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-Series-E1-6010-Notebook-Processor.115407.0.html

Solution