KISHORE_2

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi, on my laptop when i checked my internet speed on speedtest.net it's showing 16.8mbps but after i connected to my projector it's showing 0.72mbps. So does the projector effect the internet speed.

Solution
As you can see, depending on what is hooked up to your laptop, the speed is different. Of course, that doesn't mean that your internet has an issue... which I guess you are trying to test. It means that the laptop architecture is such that when you connect any thing external especially display devices, that the architecture is such that the "interactivity" of the internet is compromised. As I mentioned, this is caused by the design / architecture of your computer / laptop. It is what it is... an "all in one" type system has some compromises to make things fit into such a portable device. Generally, convenience trumps other things kind of like using your smart phone to surf the web... not the best solution but when you are in...

LDeVose2

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
I am not the super-techie that many of our fellow members are, but I have not bought a desktop since the 1990s. I have been building them. It is like going to your local auto parts store, and finding that the really hot really feminine gal on the other side of the counter can teach you a few things about your car, its engine and how to fix it. Now to be straight (no pun intended) I am a guy, and there is such a woman at my local Advance Auto. I digress.

What you may be seeing is the result of the projector's demand on the entire system. I would guess that your CPU, RAM and hard drive virtual memory space and speed have to be factors. Further, your video adapter solution could also be a culprit. Oh, and don't forget your motherboard. Are you using AMD or Intel? What is your clock speed and core count? Are you using onboard or external video adapter? How much RAM and how fast are the RAM sticks? Is this ethernet or wireless? Is the projector a local or network connected device? What programs are running in the background? Is there any malware present? What color socks are you wearing? Oops! That's what I say when I call the gal at the auto parts store.

What I am thinking is that your machine is prioritizing local over network, i.e., running local devices and programs first then somewhere down the line budgeting for external processes and devices.

Again, this is only the guess of a sophomoric somewhat advanced pseudo-super user.

Assuming the projector is connected via HDMI or VGA it might affect the speed of your laptop due to stressing the mobo video if it is set as a 2nd display but should have no affect on your internet speed.
Did you try running your speed test with the projector connected and disconnected at about the same time of day?

KISHORE_2

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

i connected through VGA and i did tested at the same time. Those are the results that i mentioned bove

LDeVose2

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

I realize that the two systems (internet and PC) are technically separate. However, and this is me still trying to understand for myself what may be going on with KISHORE_2's situation, could it be that if the processor and motherboard are being stretched a bit thinly, that the machine is responding to and handling the test uploads and downloads more slowly, thus giving him slower test results?

Also, I notice that @Kishore_2 did not mention the full test results, i.e., latency, upload and download rates.

Oh! And do you think he would have gotten better or worse results from HDMI? Analog tends to place a higher demand on systems (e.g., the FCC requirement that broadcasters go digital). Might this be adding more stress to KISHORE_2's system?

What do you think? Should he post his rig info? The devil may very well be in the details.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015

You need to indicate what your laptop is and what it is outfitted with. Unlike a regular PC, most times laptop display processing is part of the main processing board as opposed to have a separate display card. Depending on how you have set things up, the display processing may impact how the computer functions and will likely impact other functions like internet comms etc. check what your processor occupancy is while you running your tests.

KISHORE_2

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

My laptop is Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 using windows 10 pro. processor intel 3rd gen core i7 and 64 bit operating system and 6gb RAM. with out connecting anything my download speed is 17.91 mbps and upload is 4.41 mbps. with VGA my download is 2.08 mbps and upload is 1.25mbps. with HDMI my download is 1.26 mbps and upload is 1.08mbps

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
As you can see, depending on what is hooked up to your laptop, the speed is different. Of course, that doesn't mean that your internet has an issue... which I guess you are trying to test. It means that the laptop architecture is such that when you connect any thing external especially display devices, that the architecture is such that the "interactivity" of the internet is compromised. As I mentioned, this is caused by the design / architecture of your computer / laptop. It is what it is... an "all in one" type system has some compromises to make things fit into such a portable device. Generally, convenience trumps other things kind of like using your smart phone to surf the web... not the best solution but when you are in the middle of nowhere, it is a good fit.

As I also mentioned, you can look at the cpu usage while you are running your "tests" and you will likely see that it is at 100%.... that's the ceiling for what you can do.

Solution